Monday, February 25, 2008

Safety Pilot Time

I had a blast tonight! I got a call from one of the readers of my blog this afternoon. We had exchanged emails a few times and Mike offered me some right seat time since he needed a safety pilot. Mary was working until 10pm and I only had to make a stop to pick up my headset and take care of our Italian Mastiff (Maggie).

I grabbed my flight bag and tossed in "my" camera. Maggie was a quick in and out but needed her pet me time, which I did as we played in the driveway and as she bounced along back into the house. I had to run in a grab a blank sheet of paper so I could take notes and copy info. I am not used to sitting in a plane with out a knee board strapped on. Traffic wasn't to bad as I made my way south on the interstate towards Wilmington Airport. I gave a quick call to Mike to let him know I was running a tad behind schedule. I arrived at Atlantic Aviation, found a parking spot and headed inside. I said hello to the folks at the desk and confirmed if that was indeed Mike out preflighting the Cessna 25U on the ramp. They said yes and said I was ok to head out, I also had my badge from work with Airport clearance hanging around my neck, maybe that helped.

I walked across the ramp and we both introduced ourselves. Mike was just finishing the pre-flight and offered me a look at whatever info I wanted to see. I decided to stow my flight bag and walk around the aircraft while he ran back inside to the FBO. This Cessna was very clean and in great shape, a very well cared for machine. Mike briefed me on what would go on in the cockpit and transfer of control for his time needed to put his foggles on. I was in agreement with the process and comfortable with his very professional attitude. Don't forget, this is the first time we not only met but I would be acting as safety pilot (extra eyes looking for traffic) while he was flying under the hood (simulated instrument conditions). His checklists were very detailed and he verbally went over items and explained what he was doing. It was nice to see another pilot (instrument rated at that) do what they do. I learned some things to incorporate into my checks that I thought would make my flying better/safer.

I'm a bit ticked that my camera had dead batteries. I'm not sure I can blog with out loading some pictures, I will have to edit during the week.

Wilmington tower cleared us for take off right traffic, to depart to the south east. After crossing the Delaware River I was given control of the airplane. I acknowledged and felt 25U respond to an easy hand. The yoke and rudders had a different feel from 679er but provided a good response once settled in. I'm sure Mike was checking me out since he was going to trust me to spot traffic. We continued on towards MIV swinging out towards the Bay as we listened for traffic. It was some what comforting to know I'm not the only pilot that Millville radio drives crazy, they never shut up! Mike noted that since I had mentioned it should be pretty quiet at Millville tonight that I may have jinxed us. KMIV had traffic in the pattern doing T&G's and a few others inbound, including us of course. Our first approach was the GPS Runway 28 at Millville. We headed towards Atlantic City and turned back to Intercept the CROSE Final Approach Fix (FAF) at 2000'. I know I am missing something or not explaining correct but my primary job was to watch for traffic. Mike held altitude really well and called out the info as we approached Millville. His verbal alerts helped me better understand what we were doing and where we should be. Traffic eased up as we did our T&G and headed out for another round. There was a Big Sky Student pilot flying a Cessna, a Cirrus and a Cherokee in and around the pattern.

Mike performed two more GPS runway 28 Approaches, the last going missed and climbing out to the TIYDU waypoint. Mike contacted Philly Approach to request the GPS 27 into ILG, workload permitting. Approach offered Direct Woodstown VOR or vectors for the GPS 27, Mike took the vectors and we were given a heading towards the FAF, GUSTE. Mike was still wearing the foggles and I was soaking up all the lights as we intercepted final for 27 and passed over the Delaware Memorial Bridges. Wilmington tower cleared us to land on 27, approving a long landing, in an effort to save the slower taxi time. We exited on taxiway Foxtrot and made our way to Atlantic Aviation.

Once 25U was secure we did what all good pilots do and that is locate the eats. We decided on Arners restaurant for a late dinner and of course the always important hangar flying time. Mike answered a lot of questions and was very supportive in my interest to pursue my Instrument rating. As always the food and service was good at Arners. Mike picked up the tab and I left the tip, Thanks Mike that was very nice of you. It's my turn to buy the next round. As we were getting ready to leave, two ladies who sat in the next booth obviously overheard us talking about flying. The one woman told us a story about her youth and wanting to fly. She had mentioned watching aircraft fly in and out of the DuPont Airfield as a teenager.

DuPont Airport History
In 1924, a private airfield was established here by Henry B. DuPont. Charles Lindbergh landed here in October 1927. With Richard DuPont's purchase of controlling interest in All-American Aviation, and Henry DuPont's’s establishment of Atlantic Aviation in 1938, the airfield was expanded, becoming one of the most modern privately owned public-use facilities in the country. Though civil flights were restricted during World War II, the DuPont Airfield continued to prosper as a flight training site for the Navy and as a base for the Civil Air Patrol. It was an important site for development and testing of military experimental projects. Space limitations led to the transfer of most operations following the war. The final flight from DuPont Airfield was in 1958. The site was used by the DuPont Company for construction of the Barley Mill research and development center. Special thanks to Paul Freeman for keeping aviation history alive with his web page Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields.

When she asked if she could learn how to fly it seemed she was told no by her parents. The best part about listening to her was watching the sparkle in her eyes when she told of wanting to fly. I was very impressed by the fire that still seemed to burn for flight but also by the way she had come to deal with it. A classy lady without a doubt. She was proud to note her travels by air in the states and in Europe but you knew it was more then just transportation to her. If she is reading this post, she is welcome to come along for a flight and get some hands on. The other young lady also spoke of flying and asked about restrictions since 9/11. It was truly a great ending to an evening of flight.

Fellow pilots, not all of the public hold misguided fears about General Aviation, some are indeed knowledgeable and some share our passion for flight in their own way. Thanks again Mike for a great evening of flying and thanks to our neighbors in the next booth for taking the time to share our passion.

Mike if I didn't explain or describe something correct please drop me an email or post a comment so I can make a correction.

No comments: