Saturday, February 20, 2010

No-Go - 4N1 Lunch Run

As much as we both wanted to fly this morning I decided it was a "no-go" for the lunch run to 4N1 Greenwood Lake. Visibility looked great, cloud layers were 3000- 5000 depending on the area. 4N1 sits in a valley south of Greenwood lake and the NY/NJ state line. Reports are that crosswinds can be tricky and wind shear is not uncommon on final into the 3471 x 60 ft runway that also has 36 inch snowbanks on either side.

Riding through the bumps for lunch is not fun and in my opinion a waste of fuel. I haven't flown much in the last month and while current I have to ask myself am I proficient enough to feel comfortable with my Bride and Vincent riding along for the day. My gut answer is no.

Here is a glimpse of the wx briefing:

PA NJ NORTHEASTERN NJ...BROKEN 5/8-7/8 COVERAGE AT 3500 FT TOP 080. 19Z SCATTERED 3/8-4/8 COVERAGE AT 3500 FT SCATTERED 3/8-4 /8 COVERAGE AT 15000 FT. OUTLOOK...VFR.

SOUTHERN NJ-SERN PA...SCATTERED 3/8-4/8 COVERAGE AT 4000 FT. 15Z BROKEN 5/8-7/8 COVERAGE-SCATTERED 3/8-4/8 COVERAGE AT 5000 FT TOP 080 BROKEN CIRRUS. OUTLOOK...VFR.

NORTHWESTERN NJ-NERN PA...BROKEN 5/8-7/8 COVERAGE-OVERCAST AT 3000 FT TOP 100. BECMG 1416 BROKEN 5/8-7/8 COVERAGE AT 4000 FT. OUTLOOK...MARGINAL VFR CEILING.

AIRMET TURBULENCE...MAINE NEW HAMPSHIRE VERMONT MASSACHUSETTS RHODE ISLAND CONNECTICUT NEW YORK NEW JERSEY PENNSYLVANIA AND COASTAL WATERS FROM 60ENE SHERBROOKE,CN TO 20ESE BANGOR,ME TO NANTUCKET,MA TO 20W EAST HAMPTON,NY TO SEA ISLE,NJ TO 20WSW EAST TEXAS,PA TO 20NNW SLATE RUN,PA TO 60SSW MASSENA,NY TO 20NNE PLATTSBURGH,NY TO SHERBROOKE,CN TO 60ENE SHERBROOKE,CN MOD TURBULENCE BLW 080. CONDITIONS CONTINUING BEYOND 15Z THROUGH 21Z.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Looks like a wise choice - best to keep one's lunch in their stomach than on your beautiful instrument panel.

ddf said...

Yep. First I ask "Can I do it?". Then "Do I want to do it?" At this stage I'm into aviation for the fun of it, and while I don't mind some turbulence it is not fun to see my passengers struggling.

Gary said...

LOL...yes, it's never a good thing to blow chow on the panel. I'm thinking the 530 might have some screen issues after that!

I really agree with the "want to do it". Mary and I headed south one day for a short flight to southern Delaware (KGED) for breakfast. The headwind was so bad and we were getting tossed around to the point I turned around only 10 minutes out at the most. The tower said "back so soon"? I repled yep, my rodeo days are long behind this cowboy. The tower guy laughed and said good call, I was the only one flying.

110knots said...

I am glad you decided to cancel the fly-out lunch. I was also asking myself the same "do I want to do it" question. I worked 62 hours last week including two nights that didn't end until 2am so on Saturday morning I made the call to cancel the flight. I did get to fly to Sate College today with some friends of mine and had a great time. Looking forward to our next flyout event! Mike...

Mark said...

With those doubts in mind, it seems you've made a good call in canceling the flight. Don't worry there's always a next time.