Thursday, April 14, 2011

No PT ?

Another great topic on the Pilots of America Forum that sheds some light on approach plates and how we handle approaches when the flight warrants a change.

From the POA forum....

This issue came up recently on an instrument checkride and I wanted to see what the general consensus from PoA members is on this. The applicant, who was performing an instrument rating practical test, failed because he entered a hold-in-lieu-of-a-procedure-turn (HILPT) on a VOR-A approach when approaching from a sector marked "NoPT Arrival Sector Via Airway." He was not instructed to intercept or fly an airway or fly a radial that defines an airway.  As an example, take a look at the VOR-A at SNC (this wasn't the approach flown but merely an example). I have attached an older Jeppesen version of the chart to this post. Here is a link to the current FAA chart:  http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1104/06356VA.PDF


The FAA chart reads, "NoPT for arrival on MAD VOR/DME airway radials 235 CW 317."  The Jeppesen chart reads, "NoPT Arrival Sector via Airway"  The applicant appealed his failure though the appeal was later denied on the grounds that the NoPT arrival sector is defined by two radials and although the chart says "via Airway," you need not be on the Airway to be considered inside the NoPT arrival sector.  What are your thoughts? Enter the HILPT because you're not inbound to the VOR on an airway? No HILPT because you're arriving from the NoPT Arrival via Airway sector?

Food for thought:

I went through this exact scenario on my instrument checkride.  The flight plan was from KILG Wilmington, DE to Atlantic City, NJ KACY.  While flying along fat dumb and happy...ok, nervous too....I was instructed to divert to Millville NJ, KMIV and shoot the VOR A Approach. I was on the 302 radial of which is noted as no PT. When I briefed I said no PT and my examiner said he wanted the PT. I advised ACY of the diversion, requested the VOR A with a PT, all went well. I went through the exercise with my CFII prior to the ride and the reasons I would require the PT and why to advise. http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/1104/00891VA.PDF

ATC is not expecting the PT if you fall within the note on the plate.  For the KMIV VOR A that would be "No PT for arrivals on VCN airway radials 301 CW 115". If a pilot wants something different from what's published, you must coordinate with ATC.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too endured the VOR procedure headaches during my instrument checkride... What a shame since only 1 of my last 200 approaches was a VOR DME arc... I wish the examiners would pay attention to what matters ( like modern GPS WAAS approaches)

Gary said...

I agree...but they run through everything you can handle in the plane. Thank God no NDB's :)