Monday, July 05, 2010

IR Lesson 2.7

Lesson time updated from 4:30 this afternoon to 9:30 this morning. It's a good thing because it was hot enough this morning and I ended the lesson with a nasty headache, heat and hydration induced. Tom switched gears today and made it a "fun" flight, his term. The plan was fly to Georgetown, pick up wx and choose the approach, pick up Dover approach and treat it as a regular IFR flight. From GED we would head north to Delaware Airpark, 33N for a stop and go. No, we're not done yet, next on the list was an approach into Summit, KEVY and finally home to KILG.

All the approaches were my call based on wx, mirroring the real deal and putting the puzzle pieces together. I stayed ahead of the plane for the most part, seemed to track just right of my course today and tangled with the thermals to keep altitude. At least I recognized the +/- and was a bit more aggressive to correct. Overall not a bad day and Tom's debrief will be good to read and apply to the next lesson. My in flight checks; WIRE, GUMPS and DAD were fine but I skipped over the five T's and that will need to join my mental and verbal scan. Tom suggested vebalizing everytime Mary has me take the trash out, each turn, each doorway...THE 5 T's.

Turn,Twist,Time,Throttle,Talk..repeat..again!

Approaches flown today:
KGED RNAV GPS RWY 22
33N RNAV GPS RWY 27
KEVY RNAV GPS 35
KILG RNAV GPS 27 w/vectors

No comments: