Thursday, July 21, 2011

Passed Flight Physical

My Flight physical was scheduled for today and I was eager to get it over with. I have previously held the second class but for now the third class is fine.

Of course with anything related to the FAA there is paper work involved. I filled out the AOPA turbo medical forms but found out they do not cross post with the FAA. My Doctor still accepted the form which saved all that extra copy time.  The AOPA turbo medical also saves your info from year to year which is a big help. Simply update your logbook total time to date and the previous six months along with any additional doctor visits in the last three years and you're golden.

To qualify for a third class medical certificate, pilots must meet the following requirements:

Distant vision: 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.

Near vision: 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction, as measured at a distance of 16 inches.

Color vision: Demonstrate the ability to perceive the colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

Hearing: Demonstrate the ability to hear an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears, at a distance of six feet, with their back turned to the examiner, or pass an approved audiometric test.

Ear, Nose, and Throat: Exhibit no ear disease or condition manifested by, or that may reasonably be expected to be manifested by, vertigo or a disturbance of speech or equilibrium.

Blood Pressure: Under 155/95

Mental Status: No diagnosis of psychosis, bipolar disorder, or severe personality disorders.

Substance Dependence: No dependence on alcohol or any pharmacological substance in the previous two years. Obviously for this test you must submit a sample, so instead of making that potty run when you get up in the morning, try and save it for the cup. I thought I was going to spring a leak, no joke.

Everything else went fine and after a review of my 2009 visit and this years form with an exchange about my hip and my hip revision I was good to go for two more years.  I should add we also talked about aircraft, I guess that would be a given.  The Doc flys an Aztec and he is flying to Richmond, VA this evening with his wife and their Shetland Sheepdog. I hope the heat isn't to bad this evening.

I decided to add info related to the medical certificate that maybe can answer some questions for the wanna be pilots and provide some info for those who read along even if they don't fly.

How do I get a medical certificate?

By passing a physical examination administered by a doctor who is an FAA-authorized aviation medical examiner.

Where do I get my medical certificate?

From any FAA-authorized aviation medical examiner. There are approximately 6,000 of them in the U.S.

Where can I get a list of FAA-authorized aviation medical examiners?

The FAA publishes a directory that lists them by name and address or follow the instructions on the Find an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) link.

When required, what class of medical certificate must a student pilot have?

Third-class, although any class will suffice. Medical certificates are designated as first-class, second-class, or third-class. Generally, first-class is designed for the airline transport pilot; second-class for the commercial pilot; and third-class for the student, recreational and private pilot.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Conga-rats, Gary! :-D

Gary said...

Thanks! Two more years of fun for this over forty guy!

Unknown said...

Not really congrats.... More like "Phew".... I just got mine renewed on June 29th... (with a whole day to spare before my old one expired)... So I also have the same 2 year ticking clock!

Steve said...

I'll enjoy my 5 years while I can! :-P

I do need to do one more WINGS phase in the next few months, tho... otherwise I'll be in need of a BFR.