Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Approaches, KOXB

Finally, the winds have subsided! I figured it was time for me to climb aboard 3 Tango Charlie and get some flight time. Today I wanted to shoot two approaches, GPS 14 by hand, and GPS 2 on autopilot.  I had 54 gallons of dino juice on board so no worries for needing additional fuel, today was all about having some fun.
I launched from runway two-zero and turned north for PFAIR. I made on lap in the Procedure Turn and headed inbound. I felt I did pretty good for flying the first one by hand. 
I brook off at seven hundred feet and climbed south for CIRAN on the GPS 2 approach. I wanted to accommodate pattern traffic and keep clear of any flight school planes.
I activated the STec 60-2 and was on my way, making one additional direct to selection to shorten the leg and clean things up. 
One lap in the procedure turn at CIRAN and the autopilot was behaving well, or at least I thought so. I crossed CIRAN and once the glide slope was alive I had to hand fly the altitude step downs. I guess I do have some rust to shed. Staying ahead of the plane is the name of the game so I disconnected and hand flew to the point where I broke off and joined the left down wind for runway two.  There was a Cessna in the pattern and I wanted to blend in and take my place in line to land. 

Overall a short but fun flight. It's always good to push the buttons and hand fly approaches as often as possible. No scheduled flights coming up but annual is just around the corner. Once annual is complete we are hoping to head south for either Charleston SC or head to Laurel MS for a few days of HGTV investigation.

No comments: