Thursday, August 24, 2023

Showing the Commander

I have been swapping text messages with a pilot located in New Jersey who is interested in the Commander Aircraft. Lester currently owns a Mooney but is looking for a bit more comfort now flying in retirement. I should note he recently had a total hip replacement and by recent I mean in the last two months. I have to say he gets around really well and I'm sure him not waiting forever to have it done helped his recovery. Of course my "dislike" for hospitals and having to be at the point of unable to walk didn't help my muscle mass. I am who I am...and have paid the price for my hard headed ways.
Lester and his son Joseph met me at Hammonton NJ, N81. It was a smooth flight across the Delaware Bay at five thousand five hundred passing just west of the Atlantic City Class Charlie. I floated a bit on landing but held off a nice wheelie, although not as long as my landings of late.
The three of us sat and enjoyed breakfast, talking airplanes and work history. Once we finished up Lester and I headed out to fly so he could test the fit and feel of the Commander 112A. I brought along a step stool that Mary and I use and it helped him climb aboard. My only complaint about the Commander is how high the step is to get in.
I taxied back out to runway three and completed my run-up then launched for a short flight. We left Hammonton and pointed towards Millville (KMIV) then to the practice area north west of Union lake. Les commented that the plane trimmed out nice, and handled very well. I said but the Mooney has a lot more snap to it, he agreed. We knocked out some steep turns and then made our way back to Hammonton. The mid-day heat was now starting to make for a bumpy ride.
Once I landed we sat and chatted a bit more then I headed for home. I knew once I had to put the plane away I was going to be soaked in sweat and tired. We have dinner plans tonight so a quick shower and some R&R before we have to leave should recharge me. 
The flight home was smooth cruising along at six thousand five hundred and 145 knots. Once midway across the Delaware Bay I made a slow and steady descent to fly just west of the local beaches. People were out worshiping the sun, it looked like ants at a picnic. 
I let down for two thousand and swapped calls with an inbound King Air. This King Air is based at OXB and the pilot is a really nice guy. I advised I would point to the beach and re-enter on the forty-five for the left down wind runway one-four. As we passed on my extended down wind I turned base and advised number two for the field. The Waco that gives rides fell in line number three and everyone played nice, as it should be.

As I figured, it was hot and I was drenched after cleaning off the bugs and placing all the covers on. I'll come back tomorrow to clean the wind screen, I was cooked. Time to head home.

No comments: