Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sharing The Passion

The reasons I wanted my Private Pilot License are many; to experience the joy of flight, fulfill my boyhood dream and accomplish a goal that would take determination, sacrifice, hard work and discipline. During my journey to this unbelievable destination I learned a lot about me. I was raised to work hard, believe that I can do anything I put my mind to and believe in myself or realize the self confidence I have in my very being. Obtaining this license tested my confidence and actually at the end, in prep for my oral and check ride had me questioning myself if I could even really do it.

I decided to keep a journal of my training for a number of reasons. The first as a reminder and the second a chance to look back and see how I handled the achievement of new goals, the flat times of hitting those learning plateaus and as my first instructor said, "mastering patting my head and rubbing my tummy" with reference to landings. That saying has held new meaning ever since that day.

I completed my quest for my private pilot license on July 17, 2006 with 1.1 hours of check ride time. That for me is like a second birthday, never to be forgotten and as I approach fifty we really don't need to have a special celebration. A quiet flight with my Bride will be just fine!

As you can tell I continued on with the journal to document our travels. It's a fun way of looking back and to share our fun with friends and family. I was moved to write this today because of a private message I received on one of the forums I frequent. I was very surprised and yet thrilled that my flight training journal may have helped someone understand that they were not on that "learning island" alone, that we have all been there at one time or another. As I stated in an earlier post when our friend Kim took her very first flight "EVER", sharing the passion of flight has got to be the greatest feeling a pilot can have.....knowing that in some small way my journal may have helped another pilot in training or at least provide some laughs makes it all worth it. Almost a year later and loving every second I can get in the air, I can honestly say that you folks on the fence best get out there and get flying, your missing a GREAT TIME!

Here is the PM I received without the names....Thanks for the PM it made my day!

I wanted to take the opportunity to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your Blog. we're about the same age ( I'm a little older). I started training for my PPl about six months behind you and I can't tell you how helpful it was to me. I got my license December 6th.

My wife and I are going to xxxxx for the long memorial day weekend and once again I have to thank you for the idea ( from your blog) of contacting xxxxx to do some flying when we're out there. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anyway you know somebody is reading your Blog Thanks for posting!!!


Hey Gary, I was just was reading your blog. Just want you to know that your blog has helped me also. I am also 49 and did my checkride July 25. Just a week after yours. You were just enough ahead of me to let me know what to expect coming up next. As long as I've been reading your blog and forum posts I feel like I know you pretty well...lol.