Wednesday, April 23, 2008

IR Lesson 11 GPS Approach & Holds

I was running behind the normal schedule this morning and walked out the door ten minutes later then usual. I walked into the school and Brian had the sim fired up and waiting. I was chatting with a few fellow ham radio operators on the way and one is a pilot. He commented that your IR lesson should be fun since it's so nice out and winds are calm, except for the hood of course. Well there will be no hood in use or foggles for that matter and I'm sure the wx will stink, I'm working in the sim.

Did I say wx would stink, of course I did and my CFII would not let me down. It was overcast and about zilch for ceilings in the sim world. Today concentrated on procedures, briefings and working on my altitude issue. I departed Brandywine airport (green flight path) and was in the soup shortly there after. I climbed out to 2900' and direct to Modena, MXE VOR. From Modena (red flight path) I turned course to 076* for 15.6 miles to the GONVE Initial Approach Fix (IAF). At GONVE I made a teardrop entry into the hold/course reversal 'race track'. I turned left another 16* to an outbound course of 060* for four miles. I thought it was easier tracking the four miles on the DME but I also had the Garmin 530 in the console by my leg. It would be 19.6 DME for Modena and/or 4 from GONVE on the GPS, I cross checked both. At 4 miles I turned inbound to 269* and held course. Once set up inbound I went through my landing checklist needing to switch tanks. Everything else was good to go.


Once crossing GONVE I was clear to descend to 2100' until crossing CELPA, the Final Approach Fix (FAF). Holding on course and the altitude is much better as I reach 2100 feet and hold there for the last 1.5 miles to the FAF. Ok passing over CELPA and I'm clear to continue to the Missed Approach Point RUDME at 940'. It's a long 4.5 miles holding between 950' and 1000'. Did I mention turbulence and wind, it's in there!. I finally cross RUDME and power up full throttle and go missed. The missed called for a climb to 1500' then a climbing right turn to 2900' direct to GONVE way point and hold (light blue flight path). The approach and missed went fairly well so Brian put me in a 'time out' so we could discuss the next approach.

I was reset for Philadelphia's GPS RWY 27L approach. I was 'time in' east of the Initial Approach Fix (IAF) ENZEW. I toggled through the GPS 530 and activated the proper approach. Tracking inbound to the IAF I would need to pay attention to the altitude changes since this approach had multiple step downs. ENZEW was 3500' to ORANE then 3000' to FESTI holding 3000' to the FAF TORNE. Once crossing TORNE I was cleared to GLOUS at 2100' and from that point down to the decision altitude of 458' and 1 mile visibility. I hit the altitudes pretty good and Brian made a good choice on this approach to keep me thinking and making changes. The average distance between the way points is about 3 miles or so.

Overall not a bad lesson. I may have the altitude sorted out, at least I hope so. I think I'm up Sunday at 7am. The plan is for NDB approaches and DME Arc's. For now, more reading, more King DVD's and some knowledge test review.

No comments: