Friday, April 18, 2008

Quality Time w/ 679er

Yes, the title may sound strange but that's pretty much how it feels. My last time flying left seat was March 2nd to W29 Cambridge Maryland. Thinking back I did get some time the night of April 2nd while acting as safety pilot for Mike in his Cessna 25U. Needles to say it was way to long and I wanted to work on some short field landings. I need to make sure I'm sharp for my flight into N10 Perkiomen tomorrow when Mary and I pick up Rob (Rob's Flying Adventure) for our flight to Millville with the North East Flyers.

I twisted my friend John's arm (yeah right!) and he agreed to join me this morning at Wilmington around 9:30 for a few hours of fun flying. I got to the airport around 9am and uncovered, pre-flighted and took off the top cowling in order to remove the oil cooler plate. I removed the plate, re-attached the screws with the nuts on the plate and stowed it in our box in the baggage compartment that holds the Gatts jar, oil, clean rags, light tools and window cleaner.
John walked up in time to help me button 679er up. We climbed in and both went through the checklists.

I made my call to Wilmington Ground and as usual got directions to taxi to runway two seven at taxiway mike. Cleared for take off with left turn on course approved we were off and tracking the 140* radial from DuPont DQO VOR. Traffic was light this morning, we seemed to have the sky to ourselves. As sweet as the sky looked from the ground today there was a pretty thick haze once in the air. I don't like chugging along in that stuff so we remained low and slow at 2500. I asked John if he wanted to try some level flight and of course he agreed. He did very well, holding altitude and tracking course pretty darn good. We set up for a three mile 45* for left downwind runway three two and entered the downwind leg in fine shape. It seems John catches on quickly. I called 'my plane' and configured for landing. A nice smooth landing into Millville followed by a long taxi to taxiway Charlie. This taxiway dumps you right on the corner of the restaurants.
We each enjoyed breakfast and quick service at the flight Line. While eating breakfast the Deputy Director (No. 2 man right under the CEO) from my place of employment walked in. We chatted briefly and I said nice day to fly so I bagged the day. He gave a big smile and said not a bad idea at all. Just a few minutes later the Airport Director (AD) walked in and had a good laugh at me taking off to go fly. The AD is also a pilot but doesn't seem to get in the air often, although he said his children have been on him to get his medical current. It seems not everyone enjoys the same thought process that I have, and that is life is short have fun, better yet, GO FLY.

John and I saddled up for Cape May and completed the short hop with my 'ok' landing. I've had better that's for sure! It started out just fine adding the last notch of flaps as I crossed the fence but I was a bit slow to arrest the sink and gave 679er a little thud on touch down. We rolled out then taxied back for another hop this time across the Delaware Bay. I was going to call my co-worker and honestly forgot. John and I were talking and I was setting up for the flight home and off we went, just that fast. Sorry Paul, next time for sure!

We climbed out of Cape May and held over the Cape May Lewes Ferry until I was ready to cross at 6500' . We tracked the ATR Waterloo VOR just north of Lewes Delaware and i picked up flight following with Dover Approach for the trip north. I always like to be on with Dover, it helps to know if and where the big boys (C-5's) are practicing. About 15 or so out Dover cuts us loose to squawk vfr and I thank them for the ride along. I switch over to listen to the Wilmington ATIS again to see if it updated, it was still current with November.

Me: Wilmington Tower, Archer 28679er
Tower: Again calling Wilmington?
Me: Good Afternoon, Archer 28679er 12 south inbound for full stop with November, 3000 level
Tower: Enter right base runway 9, where will you be parking?
Me: Parking at Red Eagle sir, 679er

John and I watched a jet take off on runway nine and as we closed in, we were told no. 2 to land with a Lear on 4 mile final for runway two seven. I acknowledged no. 2 to land and turned left to widen out or base leg to buy some time. I turned final just after the Lear landed and acknowledged clear to land runway nine. Another nice landing within 1500' and on center. We taxied in and secured 679er and headed to the parking lot. Another great day of flying with 2.2 added to the log book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just stumbled on your blog. I'm also a pilot and on the Red Eagle Ramp at ILG!
Where are you working on your instruments?

Gary said...

I am working on my IR at TAS located at Brandywine Airport. I am working the first 20 hours in the Elite RC-1 sim then I am going to block hours and finish up the flying portion.

28679er is tied down next to the "China Doll"

Unknown said...

I know your plane! 7xf is at the end of the ramp. Its a 172-180hp.

Gary said...

Maurice,

No, the aircraft I fly is N28679 and it's a Piper Archer II