Sunday, April 27, 2008

IR Lesson 12 NDB Approaches

My lesson today was scheduled for 2:30, a change to my routine. I arrived early about 2:10 and waited for Brian to get in from his flight lesson. Once he finished up with the other student we headed for the sim. Today he mentioned SID's and STAR's. A SID, or Standard Instrument Departure, defines a pathway out of an airport and onto the airway structure. A SID is sometimes called a Departure Procedure (DP). SIDs are unique to the associated airport. A STAR, or Standard Terminal Arrival Route, defines a pathway into an airport from the airway structure. STARs can be associated with more than one arrival airport, which can occur when two or more airports are in close proximity.

I reminded Brian he wanted to work on NDB's and DME arc's. I reviewed both approach types as was ready to get sim time practicing what I learned. He said no problem, NDB's it is. I departed MIV and headed direct to the Rainbow Non-Directional Beacon (NDB). Entering a climbing right turn to 2000' I set up for the KMIV NDB RWY 14 Approach. I dial in the Cedar Lake (VCN) VOR on the number 2 nav turning the CDI to 237* and setting up the DME also. Next I loaded and activated the correct approach. Leveling off at 2100' I am inbound to Rainbow (RNB). My number 2 nav needle centers as I cross the VCN 237* radial and the DME reads 10.6, the GPS also confirms my turn to course 327*. Ok, I'm outbound with a quartering tailwind so I time my outbound leg for one minute thirty seconds. As the approach plate notes I turn out to a heading of 282* and time this leg for one minute. As the timer reaches the one minute mark I turn right to a course of 102* to intercept the 147* radial.

Looking pretty good with my altitude this lesson I slip a bit on my wind correction. I struggle to keep aligned but manage to hold course. Since I am already configured for 90 knots and 10* of flaps I run through my landing checklist. I felt to busy to grab the physical list so I ran through it in my head. Never a good idea when my mind is busy spinning those dishes from stage left to right. I did switch tanks and I was set to mixture full rich, I just forgot my landing lights. I need to work on my checklists.

Passing the station the ADF needle swings 180*. I like Brian's way of turning to the head of the needle and not dragging the tail of the needle with me. They both produce the same effect but it's easier to just fly the head or pointy end of the needle. I pass through 1300' looking for 560' and 2:28 seconds for the missed approach point. I am holding altitude at 580' as I reach 2:28 on the timer, I take a last glance and see the runway. I added second notch of flaps and set the sim bird down.

We repeat the process, this time tracking to the NDB from out near the Delaware Bay. The results were better since I compensated for the winds and the added hold had nice patterns at altitude. The last reset was at 1300' on final looking for 560' decision height and my time to missed of 2:28. I need to add that Brian had the winds blowing and turbulence turned way up. As I broke out and had the runway in sight he cranked it up. I actually just about was out of rudder when he scaled it back a bit. I could have swore I heard a sinister laugh as if he was enjoying the hellish conditions he was dumping on me. I'm not sure how but I managed to get the sim bird down in one piece having to rely on the crab and kick method. I'm not sure if he was impressed or not but I do think he was surprised....so was I.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Gary, you write and AMAZING blog. BTW your new nick name is Pulp.

Adam Z

Gary said...

LOL, great, just great! Glad you enjoy reading along. I start the pratical/flying on the 25th, a three hour block. Thanks again for a fantastic Wings Fly B Q.