Sunday, June 08, 2014

Air Time 08Romeo

FRIDAY 6/6/2014

Its been thirty-five days since I last put the key in and unlocked 08Romeo. She was a sleepy girl indeed, even feeling bit neglected I think.  It all came back, as they say,just like riding a bike. Preflight and flight prep, it all felt so good. I used a California duster to clean off what the sandman left on 08Romeos surface and our special window cleaner once all the dust was gone.

I packed in our bags, our girl Ziva but forgot our heat shields. No problem we have all our covers for the weekend protection and it will be nice to use them once in a while.

I took on 26 gallons which took me to 50 for my weekend flight. I tanker enough to get home with reserves since its a good price at $5.55 a gallon. 08Romeo came to life and all gauges looked good, we taxied for the run up area then turned for the hold short at runway two-four.  You know it's been a while since you last flew when you announce departure and draw a blank on the runway, crack up and then repeat your departure announcement adding in the runway info.

The flight to KOXB was bumpy but we enjoyed a nice tail wind riding along at 125 knots. Ziva woke a few times to lick Mary's arm letting her know she was not liking the bumps. Of course as soon as she settled in for her customary nap time I was adding the last notch of flaps for my landing on runway one four into Ocean City.  Hey, I remembered how to land this bird.  The true test will be getting back into New Garden, but for now it's the weekend and I'm at the beach!

SUNDAY 6/8/2014

It's funny how you fall right back into your routine with the plane. We arrived at OXB and after securing the airport car we settled up our weekend tie down with the staff so it was deducted from our six month paid in advance discounted rate. Mary climbed aboard and Ziva climbed the wing, with a little boost then proceeded to lay down in the back and look at me out the window. I finished up the preflight and we soon launched for home.
The wind Gods smiled on us as we rode a ten knot tail wind north. The ride was better than the ride south but as we approach the Dover area close to the Delaware Bay we picked up some very light chop. Ziva never woke up and either did my Bride. I switched over to CTAF at the field once clear of Wilmington's Delta airspace and worked my way to the pattern. I heard one plane land and had a visual on a glider turning for final on two-four as I updated my position as 2 mile left base two-four. I added the last notch of flaps at my (best GPS female voice) five hundred. My rate of descent was smooth and steady with a nice flair with stall horn followed by touchdown just past the numbers. I missed the first turn off choosing not to eat up brakes, instead rolling along for the next exit.

I tucked 08Romeo back in her hangar and cleaned off all her leading edges and windscreen. Obviously the bugs were out in full force coming home but 08R cleaned up very nice. With a pat on the cowling for a job well done I closed the hangar doors so she could drift off for a well deserved rest.

No comments: