Sunday, August 20, 2017

Relaxing Local Beach Flight

Mary and I met up with our friends Pam and Ted for breakfast at the Sea Bay hotel located on Ocean Highway. The Sea Bay has a hidden gem, a small CafĂ©, tucked in the first floor corner of the hotel. This place has excellent food and services with a friendly staff. Honestly I think it's the best creamed chipped beef I've had in years.
While having breakfast the ladies decided they would go shopping, I think they had this planned. The men decided we would then go fly, I'm not shopping. Ted and Mary switched vehicles so Ted and I headed to the airport to ready 08Romeo. As we pulled up to the hangars a plane caught my attention. This plane was a workhorse, her paint proudly showed that as we pulled closer for a better look. This Grumman-Schweizer G-164B C/N 678B is a work horse for a local spraying company, it was neat to check it out.
I ordered fuel to take 08Romeo to the slots in each tank which is twenty gallons a side. After several shots of primer 08Romeo started with a blade or two. A smooth idle at just under 1000 rpm was held while I picked up the latest weather and listened to the local traffic. It seems people were using runway two, but the wind-sock looked to be favoring three-two. The weather reported winds 030 at 6 knots, I wasn't buying it.

I taxied 08Romeo out to three-two and held short for a Mooney landing on two and noted a Pilatus entering the down wind for the same runway. I know, I'm the odd ball, as I announced departing three two and looking for the down wind traffic. The Mooney pilot advised cross winds on two and I confirmed that the wind sock was looking like it now favored three-two. The Pilatus pilot immediately changed to enter the left down wind for three-two, good choice, more runway for him too.
WWII Observation Towers
It was a smooth ride as we headed along on the north side of route 50 followed by turning north to shadow just inside the bay along the ocean city shore line. No flight following today, just fun catching up with my friend Ted. As the video will confirm, everything was a topic for today. Retirement, homes, Florida living, rentals, and their potential property purchase, it was all fair game.
Indian River Inlet Bridge (photo from a previous flight)
We worked our way to Cape Henlopen and then turned east out over the ocean. We passed over the Ferry and continued the turn south to now shadow the ocean side of the beach.
One by one we passed Rehoboth, Bethany, Fenwick, a busy beach day with all the 4wd vehicles and people enjoying the perfect weather day. Ted and I continued south towards Indian River Inlet and on to RT. 90. I turned west at 90 and followed the bridges turning slightly north west to follow Saint Martins Neck Rd. Pam and Ted are looking at property and it was a nice opportunity to get an aerial view and snap a few pictures.
After the picture shoot we pointed 08Romeo for home. I made my position calls and crossed over OXB at midfield to enter the left down wind for three-two. I added my last notch of flaps as I got my 500' audible warning and pointed for the numbers. 08Romeo didn't settle like she typically does, instead she seemed faster and wanting to fly. A quick check of the wind sock showed a minimum tail wind as I rolled the main gear on. I made my exit closest to the hangar and taxied in. It was a fun day, smooth ride, and a great time catching up with Ted.

6 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

That's great that you had a flying partner. I'm sure the girls didn't mind at all that they had to go shopping. Chipped beef is one of my favorite foods. I thought about you when we were in Missoula. I'll have a post for you in a couple days.

Gary said...

My Bride came home with a few sun dresses for our Sint Maarten vacation next week. Mary brought me a payday candy bar. The girls had fun and the boys did too.

I might get in the air one more time before we fly out for the island. I hope to get plenty of pictures for my blog while enjoying vacation :)

By the way.... loved your smoke jumper post. I read a Nicolas Evans book, smoke jumpers, I enjoyed it.

Reva said...

What's the SOP for avoiding banner tows on these beach flights? How low do they fly?

Gary said...

Zack, I like to maintain 2000' minimum. I monitor ocean city when in the area then switch to Dover approach as I work my way north up the beach. The banner tow planes also head to/from the beach on a specific route, so that helps spot them in transition.

I hope that answer helps.

Bill said...

Very nice write-up of a cool sightseeing route, Gary. I've done that many times when I had my Ercoupe and it's always a great flight - with a friend or solo. I hope to be doing more beach flights soon - but I'll be based at W29 (Bay Bridge) instead of OXB.

Gary said...

Bill, thanks for the comments. Hope to maybe catch up and hangar fly. Checked out your blog, beautiful photographs of the region.