Wednesday, October 06, 2021

GNS 480 - Arrivals, Approaches, and Radar Vectors

The Request

Our Flying Adventures Request: Flight plan to an airport with an arrival. (For example KBDN to OLM to KPAE. Arrival programmed at OLM. The arrival isn’t flown. We get vectors instead. Then approach GPS to 34 with vectors for the approach. The system remains set for the arrival, not the approach. I think we use Fly leg, but… to the holding pattern? No hold on vectors.) A clear explanation of what is happening would be a VERY big help for me.

I received a comment from a YouTube viewer that provided a scenario for the Garmin 480 GPS. I love to work through training scenarios so I gave this one a shot. With the challenge request out there I tried to answer what I understood to be the issue. 
I initially set up the flight plan as follows; KBDN OLM KPAE.  In order to save time during production and edit I started a bit closer to the OLM VOR at the fix ONALS. Once in flight I went to the procedure page and selected an arrival for KPAE. Executed the change and went back to the map page and flight plan page to confirm fixes. Next I went back to procedures and selected the RNAV GPS 34L approach for KPAE. I selected the Vectors for the approach despite that not being my typical choice in the real world.
Now if the poster was given Radar Vectors prior to the Olympia Two Arrival he could go and delete it from his flight plan. Once the arrival starts it's best to leave it in the plan and just fly the vectors from ATC. Flying the vectors vs starting a flight plan over or changing destination and then adding the approach again, in my opinion, is not worth the hassle.  Having selected the vectors for the GPS 34L the final approach leg will be active from the FAF to the runway and therefore provide lateral and vertical guidance.
I hope this answered the proposed scenario questions.  I really do enjoy working with the sim and learning new things that can help my flying. Besides, this helps keep the rust from attaching itself to deep. 

No comments: