Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cheese with that whine, over noise

Non- Aviation

RANT ON

I am so tired of hearing about the Philadelphia Airport traffic pattern noise issues. Good grief, you moved into the area knowing that aircraft fly overhead and still you all complain. My solution is pack up and move to Montana. The best line was on the local news this evening,"We understand the economic value of an airport," I use the airport personally and for business. But we don't need to be impacting people's quality of life if there are alternatives and we are actively seeking those alternatives." I say, show some stones and be the first to set a new precedence, don't fly out of Philly. Do your part to ease the air traffic and reduce noise.

I was born and raised here and have listened to airplanes all of fifty years. It's part of the scenery, no worse then all the traffic on our local roads. I used to ride horses up Naamans Creek (two lane country) road across Route 202 (four lane major roadway) and ride down the "valley" (A quiet out of the way DuPont owned properties running along the Brandywine River). Guess what, the roads aren't safe for vehicles to travel on since the roads are operating at capacity. The places I once road horses are now filled with homes and the familiar landmarks and business's are long gone. Can you say Progress?

I know some folks will say that I feel this way because I fly, WRONG! I don't fly into Philadelphia and the commercial operations are trying to put a squeeze on general aviation costing us more money when they clog up the sky. I guess it's a fact of life with progress comes growth and growth adds to urban sprawl and so the snowball rolls.

Our civic association complained about the Brandywine Town Center (Large mall that replaced a horse racing track) and all the noise and traffic problems. My simple answer after listening to the man ramble the preachings of the good of the association was to ask but a few questions. First, were you born here or did you transfer in? He transferred in. Second, do you own a car and drive it and do you shop or watch movies at the town center. The response, "yes I own and drive and do take my family to watch movies at the town center." Ok, maybe I'm way out there but that would mean you are part of the traffic problem and patronize the very place you are trying to close! He was speechless. I was very nice when I asked him to leave and not bore me again with such nonsense.

People, think before you talk. If you want to lead the charge be man or woman enough to make the sacrifice. It's painful to watch and read that you don't like it or don't want it but you sure do use it!

/RANT OFF

At least I feel better!

No comments: