Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I guess we all must look back on 2007 as we say goodbye to the year gone by. If the annual reflection is called for I can say it was a good year. The last six months of 06 I accumulated 30 hours of flight time post check ride in July. I set a goal in 07 to double that number for my first full year but I fell short by eight hours, totaling 52 for the year. December rains and IFR conditions did not help, but it does motivate me to finish my IR.

2007 did provide some fun flights. Three trips to our favorite spot Williamsburg, Virginia to visit our friend Susan, catch some shows at the Ferguson Center and hit Busch Gardens. Our longest trip of the year to Myrtle Beach, SC for vacation, adding new airports Newport News (KPHF) and Grand Strand (KCRE). Of course we made multiple northward treks to Wilkes-Barre, PA (KWBW) to visit family and take care of my parents grave.

We attended the Wings BBQ at KLOM by aircraft this year also attending the Lancaster and Reading North East Flyers get together's (so much more fun then driving). I picked up a nice plaque from the Wings BBQ fly In as the newest pilot (hanging in my office).

Most important on the look back into 07 is the lessons I have learned while flying to our various destinations. I really enjoy the pre-flight prep work and that has helped when going into new airports. I have worked on setting my minimums, being consistent with my go/no go decisions and learning to interpret weather and feel confident with what I read, see and hear.

Top learning experience: Our first leg on the Myrtle Beach Flight (KILG-KPHF) provided a few tense moments as Norfolk Approach had a stuck mic and cloud cover prevented my descent to pattern altitude if I continued on course. I took care of number one and that is to fly the airplane. I was stuck at 3000' over the Bay at my last approved altitude. I held there at altitude taking advantage of circling about a point ( the poor guy in the sailboat must have thought I was nuts)then flipped to the PHF Tower which was already dialed in. I advised tower of the stuck mic on approach and advised of my position and altitude. Tower gave me a new frequency to dial in and cut me loose. The new approach frequency was loud and clear as they cleared me to descend directing me to now contact PHF tower. A call to the tower had me enter left downwind runway 7 and I was home free.

Looking ahead to 2008 I have set a few goals. The first is to knock out a "real" cross country, ok more then 3 hours away. Mary and I made plans to attend the POA Forum, Gaston's Fly In. This will be 7.5 hours flight time and around 830 miles. There is also talk about Sun-n-Fun as I've previously posted. The thought of MGM and Universal(two places we didn't get to last trip) may swing Mary to make the trip, I have some time to work on her. My second goal is to break 60 hours and secretly I would like to post 75, we shall see. Third on my list and most important is to complete my Instrument Rating. The IR will really open up more flight time and provide a comfort factor while traveling.

I wish all our readers a safe and Happy New year. For those of you who do fly, I hope your 2008 adventures provide fun times, great memories and new friendships within the aviation community!

No comments: