Saturday, January 12, 2008

KLHZ - Louisburg, NC

Mary and I decided to make a day of it in North Carolina. We had previously planed a get together with my Cousin Annette and her family. The added bonus was the chance to visit with my mom's sister, my Zia Erma.

I had logged 3.4 hours Friday evening making a run to KLNS-Lancaster, PA then to KSBY-Salisbury, MD and finally home to KILG-Wilmington, DE. In the process I finally got night current (see previous post, Night Current Again). Mary and I decided on Chinese for dinner as we curled up in front of the TV and watched the replay of Grey's Anatomy. We decided to hit the hay early knowing we wanted to be in the air prior to 7:30am. We were up and ready to go, the zoo fed and flight bags packed by 6:45ish. I had already updated the flight and made my call to Flight Service.

We made a stop for some snacks and drinks for the 2.5 hour flight. I had left 679er uncovered the previous night to save time but did not call for fuel. Dassault did not open until 8am so we were on hold. I had to clean the frost off the aircraft so that kept me busy and warm while my Bride stayed warm in the SUV. The fuel truck pulled up just after 8am and topped off the tanks, I then completed the pre-flight sump fuel check. Mary was snuggled up in her blanket with pillow in hand as I completed checklists, made my call to Wilmington ground for clearance and taxied for departure. I checked my watch it was 8:40, and acknowledged cleared for takeoff runway two seven.

It was a gorgeous morning! Mary was asleep with little airplanes circling to land in her head, no wait that's sugarplum fairies and that's Christmas eve, wrong story. My Bride was not feeling very good but decided to make the trip, she gets a big atta girl. I picked up flight following with Dover Approach and we continued towards Patuxent at 4500'. As we approached the Restricted area (R-4007) I was advised the area was "cold", no activity. I could have held my current altitude but requested 6500'. Dover handed us off to Patuxent, Patuxent to Potomac and Potomac to Washington Center. I never did get handed off to Raleigh Approach so instead I canceled flight following with Center and tuned Franklin County to get a feel for traffic. I had already tuned in the Automated Weather Observation System (AWOS) at Franklin so I had the info noted. I made a call 20 out in case Annette and Rob were listening at the FBO while waiting for us to arrive.

It was very easy to spot KLHZ from 15 miles and we positioned for a 45* entry, right traffic pattern for runway five. We were number two to land behind a Cessna doing landings and slowed down adding a last notch of flaps early to provide for better spacing from our on final position to their touchdown and roll out. We taxied in, shut down and secured 679er. I ordered fuel and then we headed off with Annette and Rob.
Talk about a country setting, the ride to their home was very nice as we passed through the little towns along the way dotted with typical gentlemen horse farms. It was a welcome change not to do battle with four lanes of traffic just to run to the local store. It was a good twenty minute ride from the airport to the house but every bit enjoyable. Rob made a pass through to show us his shop where he fabricates corian and or granite counter tops, he's also a master cabinet maker and very modest when talking about his work. A beautiful home, landscaped as if in a picture and just as inviting as could be. We walked into the home and the smell of home made sauce took me back to memories of Sunday dinners at home and family get togethers in Wilkes-Barre, PA with all my Aunts cooking up a storm. Mary and I walked into the kitchen and gave my Zia Erma a big hug, it was so nice to see her. We also got to meet the new addition, Gus. Angus or Gus for short is part blue heeler, part Australian Shepard and a bit of Chow. He's a ball of energy and fur.

It was so relaxing just to sit around and catch up on what was going on in our lives. So many great memories came rushing back from my youth. I guess I can make that statement now that I'm fifty, good grief. Annette made antipasto, the traditional way for starting a meal according to the Italians. It was a mix of salad, olives, pepers, provolone cheese, salami, olive oil and, naturally, a good bread. The antipasto was followed by home made Italian cappelletti soup and ravioli's, this must be what heaven's like, yes, it was that good. What made it even better was the company and catching up with family truly made the day.

Time fly's when your having fun and our day seemed to zip on by. Mary and I really wanted to get back before dark and in time to get Maggie out. It was hard to say goodbye but we vowed to stop again and spend more time now that it is so much easier for Mary and I to travel. We headed back to the airport and thanked Annette and Rob for having us over and for all the great food. It was nice to spend time with family and see their new home.
We all walked into the terminal as I checked in at the counter to settle up my fuel bill. 679er took on 22.9 gallons for $97.33 at $4.25 a gallon, not a bad price considering what we pay at home. I got to snap a few pictures of the airport security, Baby the black Shepard and the real killer, snap roll a tea cup Yorkie. We saddled up and taxied out to runway five and departed to the north. I contacted Raleigh Approach for flight following and settled in for 2 plus hours of 3000' under the cloud layer. As we made our way north I could see the sky starting to clear. The sunlight was teasing me as it peeked through the clouds warming my face.
I wanted to get on top but could not find a large enough hole to climb through. Finally, just north of the James River I had an opening.
I had already been handed off to Washington Center and I was cleared to climb to 5500'. Mid climb I was handed off to Patuxent and checked in with the following, Patuxent Approach, Archer 28679er 4100 climbing 5500. Approach acknowledged and requested final destination, I advised India Lima Golf, Wilmington, 679er. I was handed off to Potomac and continued on towards Dover, Delaware. I managed to snap an over the shoulder shot of the sunset and it turned out ok. Mary does so much better with the pictures.

Mary cat napped along the way and I noted landmarks on the sectional (map for air travel). I managed a few pictures and spotted one Jet Blue around the COLIN intersection south of PAX VOR. I was handed off to Philadelphia instead of Dover which I found strange but it worked for me. I cancelled with Philly Approach about 15 miles south of Wilmington. With the Airport Terminal Information System (ATIS) noted I contacted the tower and advised of my position and intentions. I was directed to report a three mile left base for runway three two. Once cleared to land Mary captured a short video of our landing.
We taxied to the end of three two and exited on Kilo 6, we were finally home. Once secured I ordered fuel and waited to get 679er topped off. Mary and I then headed home to left over Chinese dinner around 8pm and parked it on the couch to watch Shrek III. After the movie we called it a day and it felt good to hit that warm water bed.

No comments: