Sunday, March 02, 2008

W29 - Bay Bridge

It was a beautiful day to fly and Mary was off for the weekend. Yes, she is finally back to normal hours of 9-5, M-F. We both wanted to try some place new but stay within an hour flight distance. Since it was sunny and clear we decided on W29, Bay Bridge. We both thought it would be nice to check out the water front, the Bay Bridge and all the big $ yachts. Most of the boats were still sealed up in shrink wrap waiting on official spring wx.
I checked out Google earth since this was our first trip into Bay Bridge. If flying east to west the airport is on the south or left side of the highway (Rt. 50/301) and on the eastern shore. We slept in a little later then usual for our typical flying day. I guess we rolled out of the house around 9am and went directly to the airport. No stop for water today or snacks since it was such a short trip, approximately 30 minutes.
There was actually signs of life at ILG this morning as the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) flight was just warming up and our ramp neighbor behind us was taking the Cessna out for a stretch. We uncovered 679er, stowed our flight gear and climbed aboard. It was a bit nip this morning but not to bad, I had on jeans and sweatshirt along with my baseball batting gloves for my pre-flight and I was good to go. Mary parked the SUV outside the gate and we were set to start up.
I flowed through the checklist and called clear prop as 679er came to life. I gave the oil time to warm and completed my pre-taxi checks. As usual I was cleared to taxi to runway two seven at taxiway mike. I set the brake and followed my run up checks. I made a final check of my instruments; altimeter set 30.33, heading bug set to runway heading 270*, radio set to flip to the tower and Comm 1 set for the AWOS and CTAF at W29. As soon as I flip to the tower I dial in Dover Approach on Comm two so it's ready while I climb out. "Wilmington Tower, Archer 28679er ready to go, two seven at mike" Wilmington responds, "Archer 679er cleared for take off runway two seven on course turn approved." I make a final check; flaps, trim, mixture, lights, fuel pump turn to align for take off (DG at 270*) and full throttle. Gauges look good; fuel pressure in the green, oil pressure and temp in the green were rolling. We rotate around 70kts and climb out to pattern altitude. As I climb through pattern altitude I turn on course for Bay Bridge at a heading of 230*.
I contacted Dover Approach as we crossed KEVY - Summit Airfield and was given 0321 as our squawk code. Again the visibility was really good today and we could see clear to the Bay Bridge land mass sticking out into the Chesapeake Bay, we could not ID the bridge from this distance. Mary was jammin' with her new iPod and I was doing that pilot stuff. Along the way I heard Dover give out our squawk code to another VFR aircraft. As they completed the calls I chimed in and let Dover know that Archer 28679er was already squawking 0321. Dover acknowledged and assigned 0322 to the other aircraft. I guess we were about 15 out when Dover terminated our Flight Following but did pass on a frequency for Potomac. I elected to tune in Bay Bridge AWOS and CTAF to get a handle on traffic.

The only traffic at Bay Bridge was a Cessna in the pattern and departing on the left downwind for runway two nine. I thought this was pretty cool, not much traffic, according to radio calls but always a must to keep one's head on a swivel for unexpected traffic. Mary and I always go on full alert near the airports and our scan showed the area clear. I had reported position at 15, 10 and now 5 miles with my intentions for a full stop runway two nine. Pattern clear I took the straight in announcing 2 mile final and adding the last notch of flaps as I cleared the last farm and trees obstacle. Not to bad of a landing as I roll out and taxi to a tie down in front of the terminal/office.
I asked to have 679er topped off and signed us in as visitors in the daily log. Ed working the counter was a really nice guy, great sense of humor and had things running smooth. He called us a cab as Mary and I awaited Jeff and Melvin coming in from 33N, Delaware Airpark. The cab took 45 minutes which worked out ok since Jeff had landed and just walked in the office. I should have called in about 15 minutes out like I was instructed to do by the person at the desk yesterday but I forgot. No harm no foul the group is ready to go.

The cab ride was $5 a head from Bay Bridge to Kentmoor. I think that's a bit steep for a 6 mile drive but it's the only game in town. Pretty much climb aboard or have a nice walk. Our foursome was the first patrons of the day or at least so it seemed. We got a great seat overlooking the Bay and right next to the fireplace. Everyone ordered the cream of crab soup, man that was some good stuff. I'm not to sure it was $6.95 a cup good but it was darn good, I would order it again. Mary had fried Oysters ( five on the dish) and we split an order of sweet potato fries. I had a cheese burger as did Jeff and Melvin had the BBQ cheese burger. We divided up the bill and settled up then made a call for the cab. Jeff reminded me to get picture for the blog but Mary's camera was at a dead battery level. Jeff snapped off a few and emailed them to us. Thanks Jeff!!

Jeff was getting some IR time today and Melvin said he did a good job although to critical of his own landings. Ahhhh, I understand that, I'm my own worst critic. I had settled up my fuel bill prior to lunch so I was good to go. Jeff was finishing up as Mary and I headed out to unlock 679er. I sumped the fuel since I took on 16 gallons and completed my walk around. We said our goodbyes and climbed in while Jeff and Melvin did an abbreviated pre-flight having not taken on any fuel. I putzed around getting the video camera set up while they taxied by. Bay Bridge was now starting to pick up as planes were coming and going at a good pace. Finally ready I call clear prop and get ready to taxi out with the crowd. We had a Light Sport next to us that had pushed back but wasn't ready to go. I gave 679er some throttle and we moved out and turned left clear of their wingtip followed by another left turn to taxi to runway one one. I was number three in line behind a Mooney and a Cardinal. The Cardinal and I both announced crossing runway one one as we taxied for the run up area and held short for departure.

I completed my run up as the Cardinal was departing. I made my call for departure noting one aircraft in the pattern on a left downwind for one one. As I turned on the runway he called base and I was going full throttle on the roll. We climbed out and turned towards the north east, headed direct for ILG. About 5-7 miles out I contacted Dover approach and confirmed the squawk code. Dover then turned me over to Potomac but Potomac said that I wasn't handed off. I advised I was squawking xxxx and did not hear Dover terminate advisories. Potomac plugged us in and offered us advisories for our ride north east back home. Visibility was really good today as I spotted the cooling towers at Salem, NJ nuke plant about 55 miles out. Our trek home was pretty much the norm except for one aircraft less then a thousand feet away that came by us from our 7 to 11:00 descending through our altitude (3500') and leaving us in the dust, or is that contrails.

I contacted Wilmington Tower and stated my intentions. "Wilmington Tower, Archer 28679er, 15 south west, inbound for full stop, 3500 level with Echo" He asked " where will you be parking" I acknowledged Red Eagle. From this point it gets crazy, the tower advises we have traffic in our area and are we a flight of two? Holy crap! the traffic must be closing and he called it out as a Cessna. Great I'm on top in a low wing and he/she is below in a high wing, this has problem written all over it. I now start to bank right then left looking for the aircraft, holding my altitude rock solid. No time to screw up and change altitude with traffic so close. The tower gives me the option for runway 27 or 32. I'm looking for traffic and whatever is best for him works for me, I'm a bit busy here. Still no traffic, He then calls out the Cessna at our 12:00 one thousand something, still no traffic in sight. I finally see two aircraft, one landing 32 and one turning final for 32 as I enter a wide downwind for 27. I'm cleared to land as I enter a left down wind for two seven and positioning for my base and final turn. With the recent midair accidents in California, dealing with traffic in and around the pattern elevated my normal see and avoid scans. Short final, it's time to land, lets nail this and complete a great day. Winds 290* at 8 as I cross the fence, left rudder in a bit more starting to flare a bit to high, add throttle to arrest the sink, ride it, ride it and then chirps wheels down,we're in.

Home sweet home as we taxi in to our tie down. It was great day flying with a new airport to add, lunch with good friends and left seat time with my favorite co-pilot sitting next to me.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Another great report Gary! Sounds like a very nice trip. Check out www.runwayfinder.com for a way to have the route overlayed on a sectional and google maps at the same time,.. neat to check your route sometimes. SkyVector is really nice, I hope they come out with the map feature too. Thanks for adding me to your links.
Rob