Sunday, May 01, 2011

Landings

Since I was such a lazy butt yesterday and decided I didn't feel like uncovering and recovering the plane in the wind I passed on flying.  Instead I did manage to get some things done around the house so that's a plus. Mary and I were up early this morning and went out for breakfast.  The local mom & pop hardware store was still closed at 8am and I refuse to hit the big stores, our purchase can wait until later.  I really wanted to fly today but had no destination in mind, it was going to be take off and landings and only a few rounds.  Mary does not enjoy the up and down time after time so she took a pass.

Over NJ, w/ Delaware Bay off the wing
I grabbed my flight bag and headed to the plane.  I had ordered fuel during the week so I just needed to verify and sump as part of the pre-flight.  Everything looked great and I was soon letting 08Romeo's oil warm.  A few folks were out and about on the ramp, I guess that's a good sign.  Campbell Soup had one if their Gulfstream's on the ramp so they had a mission planned for today too.  I called ground for clearance and taxied out for runway two seven with departure approved and a left turn on course.  08romeo was climbing out at 1000 fpm and crossing the Delaware river.  I decided on a few rounds at Millvile airport.  Two reasons plenty of runway for touch and go's along with working the eyeballs for traffic, the place was busy.  As I entered the left base for two eight from my 4 mile 45* entry, another aircraft entered on the crosswind right above me. It's see and avoid at this place at all times. The Cherokee was about 1200 feet and I was at pattern altitude 820ish.

I kept it tight and turned base then final with a nice slow landing that went to hell in a hurry.  Slow to the point I couldn't feel the mains touch or hear a squeak.  Then the flat landing, a bounce, another and a full power go around. I actually started to laugh, sick, I know.  But I was so slow and had flared so nice but just flattened out.  The three landings....er ..um bounces were rapid fire as fast as one main following the other as if in a crosswind landing.  More of a skip than a bounce but in my book a go around.  I am full power climbing out and as I take the first notch of flaps out my hand slips off the bar and dump all three.  Ok, not laughing now, get it together.  The stall horn moans, I nose over and fly in ground effect and make a nice recovery.  Resume climb out and fly another round.
Delaware Memorial Bridges, crossing river for RWY 32
Round two is picture perfect as verified by my co-worker in Op's.  This is a T&G and I'm soon climbing out North West for Wilmington. Tim confirms to put four in the book. Ughh..always someone watching when you make that ugly one. It's a short hop back to ILG and I entertain thoughts of heading to KOQN, Brandywine to really clean up my landings. Ahhh there will be another day and as Tim said "the ugly ones keep us humble".

A straight in for three two approved and a smooth landing at home.  I taxi in and secure 08Romeo for the day.  I may try and get some approaches in on Tuesday and our trip is scheduled for Friday.  A busy week ahead!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Aviator's corollary to Murphy's Law: the more people watching, the crummier the landing. :-)

Rustedgranny said...

OQN sounded familiar..so I looked at my file and there it was - the spot I plan to land at to visit Philadelphia! Small world.

We all make those ugly landings. If they were all good, we'd come to expect it, and get lazy.