Friday, November 09, 2007

Veterans Remembered

Thanks to all our Vets, those serving and those who have served. This family appreciates the very freedoms you all provide us and we are thankful for your courage and dedication.

An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) approved May 13, 1938, made the 11th of November in each year a legal holiday - - a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day." Armistice Day was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I, but in 1954, after World War II had required the greatest mobilization of soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen in the Nation’s history; after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting in its place the word "Veterans." With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

Just Ramblings...

I agreed to fly 679er on a 14 mile hop to visit her doctor(A&P) in Maryland. The club aircraft will be out of service through the Turkey Day holidays. Mary and I may get some flying time this month if the North East flyer's meet at Reading (KRDG).

I hope to fly Monday since I am off for Veteran's Day. I am planning a few short hops with one of the student pilots I have been emailing with. One as a mentor which has been a very neat experience and the other who I connected with while talking to his family during one of his early lessons.

It's pretty cool to give something back while maybe helping a new pilot over those learning plateau's, God knows we have all had them. I figured on a short hop to KOQN Brandywine Airport to pick up then back through Class delta at KILG Wilmington as we head for an early lunch at KMIV, Millville. Departing KMIV and heading south east we can do a few T&G's at KWWD, Cape May and then fly over the beach and circle the light house. If it's really clear I may cross the Delaware Bay and head north after orbiting Lewes, DE for a few rotations.

Airplane Watch...

On the airplane watch there is little news. Mary and I have secured at least one person and I am working on a second to fly with us as a club in whatever aircraft we buy. I made a stop at KWWD to check out a Cessna Skylark but it was sold in just a few days. An email to the owner of the PA-28-140 provided photo's and a description of the aircraft. Checking with folks on the forum gave us pretty much thumbs up on the plane. The only concern was that it was not ready to go IFR, so that caused us to pass. I still need to get down to south Jersey to check out the Beech Sport for sale and I am waiting on info for two 172's that are for sale locally. Oh, can't forget the Grumman Traveler, I want to hook up with the owner and get the info, since this plane ties down across from us.

Well, that's all the news for now as our search continues. I hope to provide good news after the annual inspection on our girl. I get to ride home with the owner and you know I will have to ask him what's the latest. So, Gary if your reading this I'm looking for GOOD news.

No comments: