Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Take Time To Remember

Is this what I want to post on my web blog?

I struggled with this question and the thought of this post, but this is a part of life and flying, the part we least like to deal with. I hope to learn something from what happened today and take away a lesson in that what we do is fun and exciting but serious too. I have been told that I am a different person in the cockpit, that's a good thing. I am conservative, professional and always looking to learn from each flight, this is what pilots do.

Heading south on I-95 around 7:15 this morning and always sneaking a peak towards the sky I noticed a big plume of thick black smoke coming from the area of the Wilmington airport (KILG). You know when you get that sinking feeling in your gut and you just know that you know, unfortunately I knew. I made a call to co-workers and confirmed what I saw as I continued into work. I made sure our club aircraft was not involved and tried to go about my business as usual. My office phone rang off the hook this morning with co-workers calling to see if I had bagged a day off work to go fly. It's nice to know they care.

METAR KILG 041151Z 27012KT 10SM FEW060 00/M11 A2972

METAR KILG 041251Z 27018G23KT 10SM CLR 00/M10 A2973

We lost a "brother" today from the GA population at ILG. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the pilot, along with a thank you to all my co-workers and fire/rescue that responded to the scene.

News Article NTSB Report (Preliminary)

No comments: