Monday, June 16, 2008

Approach Problems

Instrument flying: Approach problems

Clipped from the AOPA Forum, this about sums it up on the hardest things to focus on. This reply to the original post was made by Cap'n Ron.

Speaking as someone who's given over 500 hours of instrument flight training plus a few hundred hours on the sim over the last two years, I'd say that the three biggest problems folks have on approaches are:

  • Failure to use good prioritization techniques like the 5T's at every point
  • Failure to keep the eyes scanning/fixating on one instrument
  • Spending too much time looking at the approach chart instead of the instruments

I find myself falling into the exact problems noted. I should always verbalize the 5 T's, I don't. I have fixated on certain instruments, but that is getting better each flight. Finally, spending to much time briefing in flight and not scanning instruments. My last flight I did much better managing my time and even held the approach plate up with my right hand so I could keep my head up.

It's a work in progress and I am adjusting to that thought. My goal is to get better each lesson and 'master' some new technique each flight. Ok, maybe master is the wrong choice here but you get where I'm going with this. I look back to my PPL training and I see myself as that sponge, once again looking to soak up the knowledge, this time it's about instrument flight.

No comments: