Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Plan

For me, half the fun of cross country flying is the planning.  I enjoy mapping out flights, checking on weather, fuel prices, places to overnight and eat.  It's always been about the journey more than the destination.  I really have fun meeting people and exploring new places.

I have worked multiple plans. This first flight would be for a Wednesday departure and overnighting in a new to me flying state of Indiana.  God knows I've trucked across that state more times than I care to remember back in my car hauling days, as a young buck.

DAY 1

KOXB BAL V214 WOOLY V214 MRB V44 MGW V144 BURGS V144 HISOM KCDI ZZV V38 APE V144 FWA  KOXI
The distance is 575 miles and if I launched today it would be a five hour and thirteen minute flight. Figuring on headwinds I split the flights to two legs, three hours to CDI and just over two into OXI.

Day 2

This would be a leisure start. No pressure to arrive at Dubuque (KBQU) since festivities are not starting until 1pm. Day one is usually CFI/CFII flights for Bi-Annual reviews, Wings flights and Grass strip landing practice at our Saturday venue Abel Island. I've never landed on grass!

KOXI CGT V8 JOT V171 RFD KDBQ
This distance is 200 miles and 1 hour and forty-five minutes flight time. This should be a fun flight and if the wx looks good I'll cancel early and make a landing at Albertus Airport (KFEP) to knock out Illinois.
 
The alternate plan is to pound it out in one day on Thursday if we can't get out on Wednesday. I rather split it up and not make it seem like work.  Worst case we would go as far as IFR wx allows(no boomers or ice) and get in on Friday.

No comments: