Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Garmin 480 - Joining a STAR

STARA Standard Arrival Route (STAR) is a standard route identified in an approach procedure by which aircraft should proceed from the enroute phase to an initial approach fix.

While reading one of the many flying forums I frequent, I stumbled upon this question that was posed to the group. This scenario was intended for the Garmin GTN 750 but lets look at it with the Garmin 480.

Course with STAR added, not activated

"I recently flew into KSPG (Whitted field in St Petersburg) coming from Hollywood, KHWO. The route took me to THNDR, JAYMC, LAL and then direct.

Along the course line and just west of KSEF, the controller asked that I join the Bridge 8 arrival. Being new to the GTN I entered the arrival and chose the transition as LBV (LaBelle) since it was essentially behind me. What I'm not sure about is how to activate and fly it. To properly fly it should I have activated the leg to Rogan or Brdge and flown to either of those fixes - or - just put the A/P in heading mode and intercept the magenta course line?"

After reading the remaining posts, the approximate position of this pilot, when given the Command to join the BRDGE8 Arrival, is highlighted with the yellow circle.
The pilot did not clarify what ATC had told him or maybe left out what he did not hear. Typically ATC would say, fly heading xxx to join or direct BRDGE, depending on the aircrafts location. If it was not stated by ATC I would clarify the instructions, not leave the directive ambiguous. 

This scenario will be fun to play out on the Garmin 480 sim so lets get to it. 

No comments: