Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Overdue Spa Day, 3 Tango Charlie

3 Tango Charlie is long overdue for her spa day.  I had to look back through my blog posts to find her last time spent with Ivan.  December 2020 was the last bath/degrease and wax for our Commander. 

I agreed to meet Ivan at the hangar at 8am and he was waiting as I rolled around the corner. Ivan had that confused look as I passed him with Lucy hanging her head out the rear passenger window. Once parked I got out and let Lucy out of the SUV.  Ivan asked, where was  Ziva? I let him know we had to say goodbye to our girl in mid December. He quickly respond that she was such a nice dog. Ivan then followed up with who is this pup, I responded, this is demon spawn, laughed, then introduced Lucy. 


I tugged the plane out so she could get her degrease and bath.  Steve (line guy) pulled up and we all chatted for a while from airplanes, motorcycles and everything else along the way. 

Ivan got started and I headed home with the plan of returning this afternoon. After Lucy and I each enjoyed a nap I decided I should think about lunch. Mary offered to make sandwiches but I wanted soup or done thing hot.

With lunch complete I thought I would drop in and check on the progress of 3 Tango Charlie. The tail and bottom of the plane were done and Ivan was getting ready to start on the fuselage and wings. 

Unfortunately Ivan pointed out where a paint chip popped on the lower cowl between the exhaust and nose landing light, it wasn’t pretty and I wasn’t happy.  You could clearly see some small cracks in the surrounding area and it looks like the paint had blistered. There’s really not much Ivan could do. 
I made a few contacts about painting the lower cowl and after giving it some thought I decided to have it completed during annual.  I have the matching paints, secured them on one of my annuals after locating the entry detailing the aircraft repaint back in November of 1998. 
Ivan finished up with the spinner, prop and windows. I did manage to learn a trick of the trade with polishing the spinner, no, I’m not giving it up. 

The plane is ready for our Florida trip, needing only a preflight and fuel sump which I’ll do Saturday.  Mary had been going though outfits and planning her packing.  I’ll throw clothes in a suitcase on Sunday afternoon and be ready, no need to plan outfits. 
Total cost for the detailing was $500 today. The prices have went up, what hasn’t lately. Having it done by a professional sure beats me doing the work and my body  can still function when all is done. We are ready for vacation! 

3 comments:

Peter Schuster said...

Look's beautiful Gary! Are you going to Sun 'n fun this year?

Gary said...

Peter,
No Sun-n-Fun for us, been there done that, too many people. WE are just going on a week vacation for warmer beach time then here at home.

Peter Schuster said...

Oh that's right. I think you mentioned vero beach in one of your videos. I'd like to fly their sometime...