Saturday, September 02, 2023

Chesapeake City for Lunch

Mary and I made a last minute decision this morning to fly north to Summit (KEVY).  The plan was to borrow the courtesy car and make the short drive to the veterans memorial cemetery to visit Mary’s parents grave.  We grabbed a small American flag from the garage, flowers from Food lion, and a fresh can of WD40 from the local hardware store. 
I needed to preflight then sump since I took on fuel yesterday. Everything looked good to go and with that we climbed aboard and got the fan turning. Winds favored runway two and after completing my run up we launched. The ride north was cool at fifty-eight degrees with a few bumps along the way. I monitored Dover approach and made my calls for Summit as we approached.  I lined up for three-five and greased one on. 

We secured the plane and once checked in asked about a courtesy car to make the short drive to the cemetery. The van was in the shop but since we were making such a short drive they offered a shop truck. Mary and I were very thankful and I handed over my info to get things rolling. As I stood at the counter Frank texted me that he would pick us up. I gave Frank a quick call to let him know we were headed to the veterans cemetery then we could meet for lunch, he immediately offered to pick us up and make a stop at veterans cemetery. What a generous offer, Mary and I accepted and we were very grateful. 
photo from previous visit
Mary placed the flowers in the special container while I cleaned the bronze marker with the WD40, made it shine like new.  I placed the flag and with that said a few prayers. Mary’s mom always made me dessert so I let her know her daughter has been doing an excellent job with dessert too. We all had a good laugh. Once we finished up we drove a short distance to Bev’s parents grave. There was a flag already there and flowers. I sprayed some WD40 and Frank gave it a good rub and shine. It felt good paying respect to both our family members. 

Frank drove us to Schaefers Canal House for lunch. Frank and Mary had margaritas, Bev a Daiquiri, and the pilot a sweet tea. First things first, a toast to Jimmy Buffet since he passed Friday morning.

We ordered our lunch; Mary had crab cake, Bev had shrimp tacos, Frank had fish tacos, and I had blackened chicken tacos. We all passed on dessert instead opting for hand dipped ice cream at a local favorite, The Real McCoy. The banana pudding ice cream was fantastic. Excellent banana flavor with a creamy taste and crumble mixed in. Mary had salted caramel truffle and loved it, actually as I type this she said damn, that was good. 

We were stuffed! Frank drove us back to Summit and we finally remembered to get a group shot. I did a walk around then we saddled up. The AWOS was not working but Wilmingtons weather was reporting winds variable, so we taxied for three-five. Thanks to Frank for all the airplane shots and the start up and take off video. We left the pattern on the down wind and pointed for home. The Dover and Rehoboth TFR’s were still inactive but their times updated to 7pm vs 7:30pm.  

The ride south was bumpy with two good jolts feeling like our seats had dropped out. After two margaritas Mary slept through most of the bumps. I eventually canceled flight following with Dover and tuned CTAF at Ocean City as we set up to land on runway one-four. I made a nice landing and taxied for the hangar.  Too tired to clean up so I’ll be back tomorrow morning for cleaning and fuel. I am also going to secure the audio connections and correct the angle of the main camera.

No comments: