Saturday, February 28, 2009

WD-40 Rusty

Lesson No. 33

I got an early start to the day and headed to the Airport. I relined the Zaon case to carry the PCAS and the Garmin 496 with all cables and wx antenna. Much easier to carry the goods that way in one nice neat package. I didn't take any pictures of the in cockpit set up and I had the camera with me, brain fade I guess. Everything is tucked away nice and neat as the Zaon XRX sat closer to the windscreen clear of my line of sight now located on the co-pilots side. I also found a great place for the Garmin, up top front and center between the visors. The RAM suction mount and short extension arm kept the unit stable and mounted clear of my line of vision facing out front but just a glance up and to the right. The headset was plugged in with the PCAS in line so I heard all call outs. It was a snap to interface the two units and it worked perfectly! So cool to see little targets across the Garmin screen. I attached two picytures from the Zaon web page link. Interfaced Units

I departed ILG on runway one and climbed out over the top of the VP TFR. The AWOS for Brandywine called out winds that favored two seven depending on the gusts. I changed up my heading and positioned for a four mile 45* for the left down wind runway two seven. It was good to be back at the school and even better to be flying instrument lessons. The plan was to shoot some approaches and see how bad the rust had accumulated. I did three approaches today in just under an hour and a half. It was bumpy, bumpy, bumpy! The first approach was GPS 27 at KOQN. I chased the altitude but managed to follow along and low and behold arrive at two seven as depicted on the plate. No time for silly landings I was going missed and climbing back out. I need to get some missed work under my belt with the Garmin 300XL, I could not get it to work as it should, instead I toggled through and hit direct to my missed destination.

Next up GPS 9 into KOQN. This approach went better but missed my landing checklist until about 3 mile final. I set up for ninety knots at the Initial fix but didn't turn the pump or landing lights on. Usually I do my landing checks when I configure for ninety knots, obviously I was distracted and blew right through it. I must say my mind was cooking, after the so so GPS 27 and now trying to sort out this approach. My altitude was much better with only a slight chase to keep on track. Surprisingly, working the wind correction angles seemed to flow ok, at least until my hold on the next approach. Again no time to land as we call out a missed and climb out of the airport environment.

I dug out the plate for the VOR A into KOQN, the approach went ok. Once crossing the VOR MXE and heading outbound I cut my time short with the now tailwinds from the north. I did a parallel entry and cut an angle to intercept the inbound leg but did not get established soon enough. Around I go for another spin in the hold. The second lap I was making 20+ degree wind corrections and rolled out right on course. Woo Hooo, with altitude and course looking good I was headed inbound. I felt large and in charge calling out on course, ninety knots, current altitude for decision height altitude, it was all coming back to me. My CFII asked how we looking? I gave him the rundown; on course, holding at 1100 and and ....and ....CRAP no clue how much time to the missed approach point! I forgot to set the timer. Grrrr....Grumble.

Missed again and back out to the MXE VOR for some work on holds. This went along without a hitch and when inbound I started the timer and flew the VOR A one more time. This time it all clicked and when I flipped up the foggles I joined the right base to final for niner. Gusty winds but planted the left wing low into the wind a flew on in. A flat landing but I'm back on the ground eager to climb out and stretch out my right hip.

My CFII thinks a few more approaches and then he is setting me up with another instructor for my mock check ride in a week or two. I'm really just about ready and most of all I really need to get the hip replaced.

I did get the chance to meet one of my readers while at Brandywine, it is really nice to know that folks enjoy reading along my sometimes dizzy ramblings. I hope the pilot I met enjoyed his run to Lancaster with the Comanche group.

The body is sore, I forgot to take advil this morning so I'm moving kind of slow. Time to get a hot shower and kick back!


Rob said...

Glad to hear you are back up again for the rating. Keep it up! You're almost complete!

Good on finding a better organized cockpit, that earlier setup was pretty view limiting, and this setup sounds like it will work much nicer for you.

Anonymous said...

The Comanche fly-in was well attended and fun. It was good to see you at the airport. I know you will really appreciate the instrument raiting - it really opens up the door to take advantage of your aircraft. Good luck on the check ride.

Kelly Kober
Comanche N9144P

Gary said...

Thanks guys!

My surgery date is set for April 9th, so I have my work cut out to pass the IR check ride ASAP.