Sunday, September 22, 2013

Good, Bad and Ugly

The Good...

A fun day today running back and forth to the new hangar. Mary wanted to see the plane in the hangar and get a feel for the drive. We also made a stop at Lowe's for a few essentials, a mandatory work area and a locked storage bench.  On the way home from the airport we made a stop for breakfast at one of our old favorites, Hanks. It's been a few years since we were last here but the lines are just as long and the food just as good.
 
The Bad...
After getting the plane detailed (by a young man at the airport)and putting the new work/tool bench together with Vince's help we decided to go fly. A clean plane and fuel in the tanks, what is a pilot to do? 
Vince pulled 08Romeo out and turned up the taxiway so we wouldn't blast any of the neighbors, since I left the hangar doors open. It was only going to be a few rounds in the pattern. More on the landings later. When we did finish up and taxi in I saw another neighbor at his doors, he owns a gorgeous cub. I taxi to my turn off and turned away from my hangar so I could push back. Bazinga....obviously that was a no-no.  The neighbor very nicely informed me that we close the hangar doors or if we keep them open we shut down like I started up so the prop wash doesn't blow debris inside. Remember the hangar bays are open. I apologized and thanked him for the heads up, I want to be a good neighbor.

The Ugly...

More on those landings. The take off roll was typical, rise above the tree line and really feel the winds change. I climbed out to 1200 before turning in the pattern per the noise abatement. Landing one was high, hot and a floater needing throttle to recover and save a massive kerplunk on the runway. I roll out to the end replaying it in my mind.

Round two is another good climb out and nice squared off pattern, trying to cut it even tighter. I chop the power earlier and round off this base to final in one circle to land motion, it's looking good. Vince tells me I'm high. I continue in and have to add power to clear the swirling winds in the drop off before the runway. With a bit of float I plant one pretty good.  There is no mistake, we're on the ground. Once clear of the runway I stop and remind Vince not to interrupt while I'm landing, I know where I was with altitude and I want additional space for the drop off swirling winds right before the runway, besides I can drop this plane like a rock if needed.  He notes the correction and we're back for another round.

Round three is another tight pattern, pulling power even earlier to get me to...um...to where the numbers should be if there was any paint left out there. This one is better, still floating, but a bit smoother.  I need to spend some time with Mike B getting me back on track on narrow runways. I was spoiled by Wilmington.

3 comments:

Chris said...

At least your neighbor was nice about the hangar etiquette lesson! If it makes you feel better, the owner of my previous airport once told me about a tenant that opened the hangar door, hopped in the airplane, STARTED IT UP like he was in his garage at home, and taxied out. So,you know, compared to that,yours was a minor transgression! :-)

Gary said...

But none the less a transgression. :) I didnt give it a second thought to turn away from the hangar so I could push back. Next time I'll just shut the doors.

Steve said...

We all learn the hard way sooner or later, right? It's great you found an active airport full of nice folks.

Watching the video in the other post, it looked like the winds can cause some fun on short final. I'm sure you'll get the hang of the local conditions in due time!