Wednesday, February 21, 2018

IMC, Taxes and Lunch

Yes, it's that time of year when we gather our tax info and hopefully get things completed on time AND get a refund. I'm such a kidder...refund, yeah right.  I am excited to fly today since Ocean City is LIFR when I got up to take care of the zoo. By the time I'm packed up, dressed and out the door OXB is border line IFR getting ready to go MVFR by the time I'm ready to launch.
I watched Ocean City and Wilmington go from 300 overcast to 1100 overcast (MVFR) .  Oh well, there is still a layer to climb through and that will be fun. I didn't even check my typical Skew T routine, instead I knew it was plenty warm and I was really hoping for some IMC time.
 
I took on some fuel to bring 08Romeo up to fifty gallons and with my preflight completed, tugged the plane out into the sun. That sun felt great but it was quickly burning away my fun, it was time to get in the air. I did my run up at the hold short and after picking up my clearance, launched for ILG.

C KILG
R ENO V29 DQO Direct ILG
A 2000 - expect 4000
F 127.95
T 6552

On release I was directed to fly a 270 heading, climb and maintain three thousand.  Potomac has to have you climb to identify you before they turn you on course. Once in the air Potomac had me climb to five thousand, my new cruise altitude.
I was handed off to Dover approach and road along with two traffic call outs; a C130 passing one thousand feet below off my left side, then a Cirrus one thousand feet high passing off the left side. There was not much else happening except for me enjoying the ride on top of the marshmallow clouds.
Dover handed me off to Philly approach and they stepped me down to three thousand then two thousand with a vector or two that had me cross the top of the bay and skirt the Jersey shore line. I was disappointed that I could not get an approach in but with the ride em cowboy winds I was happy to take the visual approach and land on runway two-seven.  I did make the first turn off and the Pilatus behind me was able to continue inbound for his landing without a delay.
I missed my friend Tyler at FlyAdvanced, I hear he is moving on to the Navy...Tyler is that true? I'll miss your great service and friendly reception each time Mary and I used the FBO. FlyAdvanced did not disappoint, I was marshaled in and wheels chocked without delay, and that ramp was full of jets today.
I took on ten gallons of fuel and asked about the crew car, a huge white Ford Expedition. It was like driving a refrigerator, a large one. Of course the last knucklehead to use it left it empty so my first stop was for fuel, $25 brought me to half tank and I was once again on the road north.

I saw some new construction, a bridge along I95, maybe a new train bridge or maybe a foot bridge. I think a foot bridge in place of the former train bridge. The traffic was crazy and I was quickly reminded how much I DON'T miss driving here. I made it to my brothers office and handed over all of our tax documents, I'm glad that's done. 

We decided on lunch at the Charcoal Pit, one of my favorites.
The Charcoal Pit Tradition dates back to September 1956 when it first opened its doors. The “Pit” - referred to by loyal customers, became such an instant success that only after three months from the grand opening, it was decided to build more room for its long line of hungry customers. The “Pit” went from a small four table and a counter burger joint to a 115 customer-seating establishment. 
Our award-winning burgers have been a tradition in Delaware ever since. The recipe is secret and has kept Delawareans craving the “Pit” for generations. Those who first patronized the “Pit”, are today bringing their children and grandchildren to enjoy the same tasty experience.
 
Our famous Ice Cream Creations celebrates our local high school teams and make delicious memories. It is worth a trip to the “Pit”
 
After an excellent lunch I ran Joe back over to his office with a to-go order for my sister in law, Janice.
 
I headed back to the airport so I didn't tie up the crew car too long. I was out just under two hours. I paid for my fuel and headed out to the plane. When I opened the doors the heat wave poured out, as stuffy as it was it still felt good, better than the cold temps we've had.
 
C KOXB
R RV (Radar Vectors) V29 ENO Direct
A 2000/4000
F 119.75
T 2674
 
I settled in and got my camera battery changed and unit set up, along with my iPad mini 3 and Cannon camera. I did a quick weather check, all VFR,and quickly got the fan turning. I picked up my clearance home  with Wilmington ground then taxied out.
C&D canal west view

Canal east view at the Delaware River
With my run up complete I was holding for my release, it didn't take very long. I was soon rolling down runway two-seven and climbing out on runway heading. I was handed off to Philly and they immediately identified me and gave me a climb to six thousand. It was bumpy down low but very smooth at cruise. Philly handed me off to Dover and we road along with no traffic call outs. I did get asked how the ride was, I responded, smooth as silk.
not much better heading south
I stayed on with Dover even though I could have cancelled early. Once I was south of Delaware Coastal (KGED) and didn't see any traffic I cancelled my IFR. I did keep my squawk since I was going to monitor Dover for a bit longer, and approach asked me to let them know when I wanted to switch to advisories. That was a bit different but extra eyes is always a good thing. Ocean City was quiet and I made my position calls as usual, ten and five out. A Coast Guard helicopter made a position report and I joked that I hope his ride was better then my wild horse ride inland at two thousand five hundred.  The pilot said they were dealing with the same ride then moved out along the coast.

I continued in and greased my landing. I taxied for the hangar, happy with today's flight performance. I was really hoping for IMC time but there will be many more days for that fun. Next up Oak Island, NC.

No comments: