Saturday, February 17, 2018

Video Equipment and Upgrades

I thought I would post about the equipment I am using for my videos. Some of my oldest flight videos were taken with a camcorder, ancient, I know.  As I posted previously, Mary got me the Garmin VIRB XE for Christmas 2016, it's the primary video recorder that I currently use while flying.
 For Christmas 2017, Santa brought us a Cannon SX720HS 40x zoom. I still forget to bring it with us since I am so conditioned to use my iPhone camera. Well, during 08Romeos spa day I decided to get settled in the cockpit and work with the RAM mounts I have collected over the years and figure out a way to utilize the Cannon. 
I played around with a few positions and what I could capture. I found the passenger window to be the best mounting location to shoot the instruments, and still be able to realign to shoot some of yours truly doing that pilot stuff.

I'm also working on showing the approach plates and maps with an aircraft in motion vs just adding still shots, I think it will provide a better understanding for non-pilots and those who fly will enjoy the added feature.

I gave some thought to adding some background music but I really don't like watching flying videos with music blasting instead of ATC. I did enjoy some low volume background music with sections of video that had the speed increased to plow through long, nothing interesting to see, periods of flight. I guess it all depends and the viewers will let me know what they like or don't like.
Activeon CX Action Camera 1080p
I'm also looking into a camera to be mounted on the tie-down tail position, or strapped to a landing gear for some different views. Some of the cheap cameras should work fine and if it decides to exit the plane connection it won't be a big loss. I'm thinking about the Activeon CX Action Camera 1080p

I hope to get in the air today or tomorrow and get some video with both cameras and learn more about editing.

No comments: