Friday, July 15, 2022

The Retired Life, My Week

Monday 7.11.22

Monday morning and there is nothing on our calendar. I had thoughts of getting some flight time, but, my bride asked if I wanted to go to the beach with her this morning.  I got out of my PJ's and threw on a bathing suit with some sort of pirate t-shirt and off we went. We keep two beach chairs and our beach umbrella in Mary's SUV so it's always ready to go during the season. We use my SUV for the grocery getter and Ziva transporter. 

We enjoyed our beach time, Mary in the sun, and me in the shade. I swear I tan just walking to and from the beach from our parking spot. I got to read through the flying forums and even watch a flying video or two. Of course the most fun is people watching.
Mary and I could not get over all the "equipment" people take to the beach. We do fine with the umbrella and two chairs. Most people we watched set up had tents of some sort. These folks looked like they were setting up for an overnight camping trip. We even saw two couples set up a wall system that was maybe three feet high. I guess these days one must set up a compound of sorts. 

We reminisced about our family beach days growing up. Mary and her family vacationed in Wildwood NJ as did my family. I never remember chairs, it was towels on the beach, get coated with some sort of sun screen, and get in the water. I think my Dad did set up an umbrella. Of course my mother, stood on the beach worried sick if we went in above our knees. My dad had to constantly calm her, and reassure her we would not drown. Mary's family was much the same; beach towels, umbrella and good family times. Mary remembers the pork roll sandwiches from the boardwalk and I remember the ice cream between the rectangle waffles. We both made the comment at the same time...Ice cream...Get your fudgy wudgy here...laughing as we remembered the ice cream guys toting that freezer box in the hot sun.
I guess we finished up around lunch and made a stop for Italian hoagies at the local deli, before heading home. After lunch we took a drive to drop off Mary's SUV for service and take my SUV to the airport with Ziva on board. After a short run time we loaded back up and headed for home.
I did see one beautiful mouse on the ramp and I knew the plane but just couldn't place it with the owner. Memory, gettin' old sucks. As we were leaving Mary saw the pilots at the plane so naturally I had to stop. Sure enough it was fellow BAC member Bob Prange and his son Andrew. They were dropping off their Maryland airport passports to our airport manager since they both completed the Explore Maryland by Air program. Congrats!

Tuesday 7.12.22

What started out as a beautiful day with Mary and I planning a breakfast flight turned into a stay on the ground day.  The zoo was taken care of and we decided to head across the Delaware Bay to Cape May, NJ for breakfast. When we arrived at the hangar I felt sick and decided to cancel the flight. We regrouped and once I felt better decided on a short drive north to our favorite breakfast place, the Frankford Diner. Tummy full, feeling better and now planning another flight for this week. We spent the day cleaning house, running errands, and playing with the zoo. 

Wednesday 7.13.22

Get out and vote the primary! We have early voting here in Maryland so Mary and I took care of that duty early.   

I then decided to shop the local gun shop for a good concealed carry piece since Maryland opened up the permit process following the Supreme Court decision. I’m thankful for Governor Hogan instructing the Maryland AG to make it happen. 

The temps are rising today along with the humidity so we are going to stay inside and enjoy the AC. The plan for this afternoon is to make sugar cookies together. Yummy!  
Thursday 7.14.22

Wow, I slept in until 7:30, that’s late for me. Mary was already up and took a pass on her typical morning walk due to the high humidity. I got breakfast started, fed the beast (Ziva), then got cleaned up and ready for my day. I am driving my bride to her dentist appointment in Snow Hill, just over a half hour drive each way. We really need to find a dentist closer to home.  
Today is also get Gary IFR current day. That's right, time for me to climb into the full motion sim at Ocean Aviation and knock out six approaches, a hold, and do some tracking.

A positive outcome, IFR current once again! Thanks to Zak at Ocean Aviation for the workout this afternoon. Today I flew the Red Bird full motion sim set up as a 172. Steam gauges with a Garmin 530 & 430 for something different. Different provides distractions and shooting approaches in a plane I don't fly much ups the difficulty level.

Friday 7.15.22

Friday was our planned make up breakfast fly day. Mother nature had different plans and it was raining pretty steady when we got up. Not a problem maybe we'll get up and out tomorrow instead. 

Mary started her wash, I watched Leave it to Beaver and then did our online banking. Hey, I have my priorities. 
Mary decided to make some Italian pizzelles and I had to be available to taste test. The rest of the day was pretty lazy and we are both ok with that.

House Issues

The last few days we noticed a plumbing problem in our master bath with a slow flushing toilet. Life is not good when you have to get up in the middle of the night and walk across the house to use the guest bathroom. I made an early call to RYT Plumbing and they were out here at the house bright and early. Problem fixed with a new Kohler Cimarron Comfort Height 1.28 GPF unit.

Next weeks forecast is calling for above average temps and high humidity. I’m not sure what we have planned but keeping cool will be a top priority for me.

2 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

Sure hope you can get some flight time. I'm so glad we don't have the humidity out here. I can't imagine 110 degrees with high humidity. The cookies look fantastic.

Gary said...

Sandie, I am always looking to increase my flight time. ;) Hot is hot but the humidity really makes it uncomfortable as compared to the dry heat out your way. Cookies are always a good thing and I'm always available as the taste tester. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. Thanks for checking in, and hope you are well.