Saturday, January 07, 2023

First Flight 2023


We all hear about New Year’s resolutions and I typically don’t partake in the ritual so let’s just say I am going to work hard at flying once a week in this new year. 

Todays first flight of the new year is to a favorite breakfast spot, Katie’s at the Airport, located in the Cambridge airport terminal. I posted on the Pilots of America (POA) forum and Allen decided to join me.  Time to meet up, 0900.  The weather was looking good, and I had enough fuel on board for the hop. 

With a new puppy in the house I needed some additional time so that’s the reason for 9am vs the original planned 8am meet time. Mary got up early to help out so I could get dressed and pack my camera bag  before bugging out. 

I got the fan turning on 3 Tango Charlie after an overnight preheat. I learned my lesson and went with no pump and just opened up the mixture to rich, slowly leaning once cranking. Best practice is to have warm oil and I wait until at least 120 degrees before performing a run up. 

Runway three-two was open with new paving, lights, and striping.  The take off roll was smooth, and I was airborne at my usual point. I climbed to three thousand and enjoyed the ride. Cambridge was fairly quiet, landing on three-four and securing 3 Tango Charlie at the third spot from the terminal on the ramp. 

Allen and his friend Eric were already seated so after intros we ordered. Good eats and service were followed by plenty of airplane and retirement talk. When business picked up we surrendered our table and headed out to our rides. I had to square up my fuel bill for 27 gallons and then out to preflight. 

Allen filed for the ride back to Frederick and I planned on a VFR ride home to OCMD. I finished my run up and taxied out, Allen had to wait for his clearance. As I departed on the downwind I watched Allen's Archer climb away from the runway, wishing them a safe flight.


I monitored Patuxent approach just like this mornings flight west, but this trip I enjoyed the tailwind. Traffic was picking up and there were three of us landing at OXB. A Cessna was on final as I entered the left down wind for three-two. The second a Piper flying up the coast continued right in calling final as I watched him below pattern altitude at my one o’clock. What a dip…stick! I kept my mouth shut and made a 360 to let him cross in front of me on “base”. Sometimes it’s best to just be smart and safe. Giving that pilot crap on the radio wouldn’t have done any good and being safe instead of right but dead seemed way more appealing. I’m looking forward to next weeks flight!


2 comments:

Chris said...

That was some well-exercised discretion in the pattern. Our club’s chief instructor recently blasted the entire club with multiple examples of bad pattern behavior he observed locally. Maybe it’s spreading…

Happy New Year, Gary!

Gary said...

Discretion AND restraint... Sometimes the best decision is to bug out and give it another go. Usually this stuff ramps up during tourist season but not in the off season. Head on a swivel applies 24/7/365.