Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Vectors to final, Don't do it!

I know, stop beating a dead horse. I really hate that expression being the horse lover and former owner of three that I am, but it fits the moment.

I like to watch aviation YouTube videos and learn from what I watch. One of the very best content creators is Martin Pauly. Recently he posted a video about a flight to St. Paul Minnesota (KSTP), the twin cities. On this flight he was given vectors to final for the ILS 32. Sure as I am typing this ATC switched it up and gave him a direct KIKKY an initial approach fix (IAP). Martin flies with the Garmin 750Xi and even with the VTF selection the GPS still shows all the fixes for the approach. Sweet! My Garmin 530 did not and either does my Garmin 480. 

This brings me back to the topic of not selecting VTF, instead loading the full approach. I was burned by Philly approach once while flying the Sundowner, in IMC conditions and no autopilot, on vectors, only to be switched to direct KAHOE, an IAP. How fast can you correctly select the correct approach and fix? 

My second example was my recent flight home from Vero Beach. I was given the RNAV GPS 17 approach into Mt Pleasant (KLRO) expect vectors. Sure enough I fell into the rabbit hole. First turn was direct to the Charleston VOR (CHS) then expect vectors. No problem, I'm above a layer but knew I had to shoot an approach to get into LRO. Next I was given direct GINNE which now required some buttonology to reload the approach and select the IAP. Thankfully the Commander has an excellent autopilot, Stec 60-2, which reduced the workload. I'm following the approach happy as can be and approach asked if I wanted to stay direct GINNE or receive vectors. Was he kidding me? Nope, I'm good. 

No comments: