Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Training Day 1

Day 1 

It’s going to be a busy day so buckle up and get ready.  My day started with a visit to the office and a few hours of computer work before starting on my to-do list.  Mary is still feeling pretty sore from her slip and the resulting sore back she sports as a prize.  With bed rest her priority,  I needed to get a few things done before Mike B arrived.  The spare room needed the sheets put on the bed and the room vacuumed, along with fresh towels and a supplies check of the guest bath. Done.

Next up a grocery run to fill the list on the fridge that we keep updated. How did the list of ten items grow to a full cart, who was adding items?  Obviously I’m not a good shopper and end cap promotions do work.  Oh well, the fun part of shopping is done, now to get everything home, unloaded, and put away.  With the shopping completed I made lunch for Mary and I. We enjoyed hot ham and cheese sandwiches and the time to relax and hang out, it's all good.

Mike is scheduled to arrive in Salisbury (KSBY) at 2:50, so, I have enough time to cross another item off my list.  I clean up lunch and point the SUV west for the Salisbury social security office.  I seemed to have lost my original card and I need a replacement, which can only be done in person. Surprisingly, the crowded room sorted out rather quickly and within twenty minutes my number was called. The transaction took less then ten minutes and I also walked out with info on my retirement numbers, of which I am entitled to as of December, at age sixty-two. At least I can apply online in September, three months in advance. 

Watching the clock I’m in good shape to get to the airport with time to spare. As a pilot we all have an app for tracking flights and my favorite is FlightAware.  Mikes flight is ahead of schedule and lands shortly after I arrive, great timing. I get a text from Mike that he landed and is seated in the very last row.  I acknowledged, I was in the terminal. It was great to see Mike, it’s the first time following the accident. Mike was a lifeline for Mary and I both through our recovery.

The bags are loaded in the SUV and we are headed to the Ocean City airport to see 3 Tango Charlie. Once the hangar is open we complete a walk around and then remove the top cowl to locate the source of a single drip of hydraulic fluid on the hangar floor. This is the first drip in thirty-one hours of flying our Commandeer. I locate the source, a valve block for the parking brake, just above the right cowl vent.  All lines are checked and secured, and with a clean up we are ready for a test. Mike climbed aboard and pumping the brakes he set/released the parking brake numerous times with no sign of a leak, I will continue to monitor.
Bottom view

Top view

With the drip issue addressed we both climbed aboard for some systems review and just getting to know what’s what for the avionics. We must have sat in the plane for at least an hour with the only distraction being the need for some eats. Together we closed up the hangar and headed to the house to drop of his bags and see if Mary was up to dinner out. My bride took a pass, so Mike and I headed to Harborside for dinner.  
The music was excellent, and the food and service just as good. For starters we split a calamari as an appetizer, it was very good. For dinner, Mike had flounder and a side salad while I enjoyed a cheeseburger with bacon and onion and fries. Mary had asked for a crab cake so I placed the order as we were finishing up dinner so I could take that  home for my bride. We sat and talked airplanes and the training plan for the next few days. 
The fun begins

Mike and I did a ground session on the Stec 60-2.  I will say he is just as tenacious with the books as he is in flight. We started out with a review of every button and indication on the Stec Controller and how each affects flight control. We reviewed the block diagram to get a better understanding of the system.
We then moved on to controller indicators as noted in appendix A. It was a good review and I did learn a lot about faults and functions I haven’t seen or tried as of yet. Mike had a training syllabus he put together and we followed each section addressing every aspect of the autopilot.
The discussion then turned to application with regard to flight planning, route amendments, procedures, approaches and equipment failures. Before one could imagine it was almost 11pm. We completed the plan Mike prepared and called it a night. Fly time starts tomorrow, weather permitting.

No comments: