Friday, July 17, 2020

More planning and a look at 2021's BIG Adventure

  
The things you do when you have a plane and nowhere to go because everything is closed up. Mary and I have been working on our list of places to explore once life gets back to normal. 

The few calls I made for some short hops had no courtesy car available, and the hassle for renting for a few hours is just not worth it. It would have been better to just drive a few hours each direction in our SUV.  Did I mention how much I hate driving? UGhhh...
Previously, I posted a plan for a trip to Bar Harbor. That plan is ready to go, all my info is complete and we just need quarantine status to be lifted in Maine. I hope we can make this trip sometime in late July. 
I have been working on an alternate for August and that would be a visit to Mackinac Island. There are a few things I would want to do while on this adventure. Mary and I would love to visit with our friends Jeff and Lorie and their family near KBIV - Holland Michigan.  On this trip I would also want to make a hop across the lake (Michigan)to land at Green Bay - Austin Straubel Airport KGRB. I am a Packer fan and I just want to knock out Wisconsin, maybe enjoying a quick lunch and taking home some cheese curds. I have been to Green Bay previously and toured the stadium thanks to my friend Ann O from Appleton. However, I want to land my plane in Wisconsin.
We do have the Annual Commander fly-in scheduled for late September in French Lick Indiana. This get-away is already locked in.

2021 Plans

Looking ahead to 2021 Mary and I have been thinking about a westerly trip. Our first stop will be Memphis Tennessee to visit Graceland and Beale Street. We want to visit the Kings home.
After watching all the violence in big cities we may eliminate Memphis and instead push farther south to Laurel Mississippi. Laurel you wonder? Yep, another HGTV favorite of ours is Home Town. Just an overnight and maybe a few hours of exploring the following day before heading on to Waco.
After Memphis or Laurel we're heading back to Waco to visit Magnolia Market. This would only be a short stop over to include a tour that we didn't do the first time around and maybe hit a few new places that have been added since our last visit. Of course we would explore and eat. 
The main goal of this adventure is a bit further west, spending a few days in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We both have the balloon festival on our bucket list. The 2021 event is scheduled for October 2nd through the 10th which makes for good temps and weather for our travels. This will most likely be the longest stop, plenty to see and do.
Once we do the festival we will point three tango charlie for home.  There is one more more place we both want to visit and that is Pawhuska, Oklahoma. Where? Yep, Pawhuska, home of the Pioneer Woman cooking show. It's small town at its best. We want to check out the Mercantile, sweet shop, and the recent addition of the boarding house. 
We will continue our trip east making at least one more stop at one of my bucket list items. I am a big fan of Secretariat, Big Red, the 1973 triple crown winner. On March 30th 1970 Secretariat drew his first breath, and the greatest horse story began. Sadly he was euthanized on October 4th 1989 due to a painful condition called laminitis. I never got to see this mighty horse in person, but, I will visit Claiborne Farm and see his final resting place in Paris, Kentucky. 

From Kentucky we will continue for home and wrap this adventure up. Typically we try to attend the Beech Aero Club festival or Commander Annual fly-in, both scheduled around the same time. 2021 will be a bit different, we will still explore,but, this adventure will be our priority. 

No comments: