Tuesday, November 29, 2022

I'm Happy my Garmin 480 Videos Help

I received an email from a fellow pilot and Garmin 480 user early this morning. I was happy to hear the video playlist is helping pilots get a handle on the features of this legacy unit.  The email was very detailed including screenshots to explain the issue with the 480 SIM.  

Of course when I got up to take care of the Ziva princess and those pesky cats, who knocked over the Christmas tree, I cleaned up and then and went straight to the home office. 

I fired up the SIM to recreate the issue presented in the email. The SIM will not execute a new destination from the direct menu.  After a few tries I realized that just starting the SIM without selecting some flight will not simulate the aircraft flying.  Hmmm...ok, I picked the home airport in the email as the origin and destination which immediately gets the sim into flight mode.  Once in flight mode a selection of Destination on the Direct menu and then Database is used to select a new airport. Once the new airport was entered a quick check of the Map screen showed the magenta course line to that airport, perfect! Now to make sure the stars are aligned. I selected Procedure and the new airport was listed and all procedures were available.

I really appreciate the feedback and love working through new issues. Every challenge I get helps me shed the rust and keep me proficient.

No comments: