Saturday, February 25, 2023

Intercepting a Radial to a VOR or Waypoint

Corrected spelling of the ENO Smyrna VOR
I have read this very question multiple times over the last few weeks on various forums that I frequent. I have been so busy practicing the buttonology on my Garmin 480 that I decided to make a quick how to video on this subject.

Lets set up the flight and the ATC change to intercept the radial to a VOR. The flight plan as cleared by ATC is as follows; KOXB SBY ENO KILG. 
Typically upon departure from Ocean City (KOXB) Patuxent requires you to fly a 270 heading upon entering controlled airspace. Once Identified you are immediately turned on course to your initial waypoint. 

Only once so far in my eight years of flying out of OXB was I given a Radial to fly to the initial fix on my flight plan once in the air. So it's not common here but in many places it seems to be a thing. 
Once ID'ed by Patuxent I was assigned an intercept radial (180*)to my initial plan fix, Smyrna (ENO). On the video I work through the process on my GPS, the Garmin 480. I also included a link to a Midlife Flight video that focused on the exact topic for Garmin GTN and Avidyne IFD units.

No comments: