Thursday, February 02, 2023

Oil Change and Log Book Notation

I went back to the hangar yesterday to complete the oil change. The temps were a bit cooler so I did not open up the hangar door. I have a new drop light so that helps to see where any oil drips and to make sure all my tolls are accounted for.

First things first, of course, release the auto-drain plug so it is closed, then clean up around the plug. Next I brought in the case of oil and Camguard I had warming in my SUV. It's so much easier using a funnel when the top cowling is on, not so easy with it off. So one by one I opened the oil and just set the bottle to drain directly in the oil dip stick tube. Worked perfect and in the middle of the seven quarts I added the Camguard.  I gave the floor a quick peek just to make sure there was no spillage from the auto-drain. All is dry.

I forgot to grab a marker when I left the house so I jumped in the SUV and headed to the office. Thankfully they had a sharpie marker and I was able to add the info to the filter. What info had to be added to the new filter? I added the date, tach time, tail number, and left the right/left engine lines blank.  Clearly there is only one fan turning out front on my commander.
Steve was in the office so I asked to borrow a one inch socket and a torque wrench if he had his in the hangar. Luckily he had moved tools to his hangar and had what I needed available. I can't believe I walked out of the house, passed by my tool box in the garage and drove to the airport without the few tools I needed. At least I did remember what my keys were for and I found my way to the airport.

I did head over to the new Harbor Freight and purchased a 3/8" inch drive, 5-80 ft.lb. click torque wrench. The wrench I purchased was on sale for $16.99, perfect for doing oil changes and spark plugs when needed. Steve stopped by and watched my safety wire tie work and gave his nod of approval.

I cleaned up the hangar getting everything put away before bugging out for home. The filter is draining and I'll cut that open this week and do the run up/leak test. Now I need to order some oil and a filter for the next change sometime late this summer.

No comments: