Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Avionics Buttonology

Despite maintaining my IFR currency on a full motion sim, I really needed to push the buttons and turn the knobs on my Aspen/Stec 60-2/Garmin 480 avionics. 

The weather has been above average with temps just tickling the sixty degree mark. With a blue sky and no winds I decided today I would get in the air. The plan was to launch from runway three-two and climb straight out for PFAIR on the RNAV GPS 14 approach. 

Setting and confirming altitude and switching to GPSS mode was easy peasy. I would have done a parallel entry to the procedure turn but the autopilot did a tear drop. Once inbound, and the GPS confirming LNAV, I had no glide slope light. Maybe it was because I didn’t select NAV once inbound. Nope, the real reason is the approach is an LNAV approach, it's on me the pilot to fly the glideslope. Now that issue sounds very familiar. AP disconnect and hand I fly down to minimums. Honestly I still prefer to hand fly approaches.

On climb out I reset for the RNAV GPS 32 approach and set up for direct GOBYO. After some thought I decided to mentally vector myself to just outside the final approach fix (FAF), ELUCO. I figured why be out over that cold water (ocean temp of 44° F) if I didn’t need to be. I was higher then the approach called for but working my way down to 1500 feet. This time I did select NAV, however, it was late and I was above the glide slope. Vertical guidance did not capture. Once again I disconnected and hand flew to a nice landing. 

Needless to say I really need to put some time in and work on proficiency. I know I can hand fly any approach but having the AP really makes life easier after a long day of flying. I’ll be back up in the air this week and again this weekend. 

Remember, currency is good for the log book but proficiency will save your ‘bacon’.

No comments: