Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Holiday, Cape May

For Rustedgranny, on the ramp at WWD
I was off for the Good Friday, Easter Holiday and decided since Mary was working I would try and get some flight time in. I ran a few errands in the morning then headed for the airport. The air had a bit of a chill but it felt good to be walking across the ramp through the line of planes. I checked on 679er the club plane I used to fly and a few others on the ramp.  Ahhh..08Romeo was waiting patiently to get started and break free of mother earth, I know that feeling.  I had ordered fuel Thursday and needed to verify then sump on my preflight.  I removed the covers, cleaned the windows and took my time with the preflight since it's been a couple of weeks since I last flew.  Despite all the rain the tanks were free of water, the new seals at last annual were a good precaution, always trying to stay a few steps ahead with maintenance. Oil was good, a tic above six quarts which is where she likes to be and eliminates oil blowing by on to the belly. I noticed a few bird souvenirs inside cowling and on my nose wheel, some little feathered intruder is coming in and hanging out under cover. A second look with my LED flashlight confirms all clear and with the nose plugs in place the top of the cylinders are protected from birds nesting.  I also added a tail cone cover from Planecover.com , best investment for keeping those nesting birds out of the plane.
With a detailed preflight complete it was time to get the fan turning. I went through my checklists as a review and with a call for clear prop I cranked 08Romeo over......and over.....and over. Hmmm...that's a first since I brought her home after purchase.  Ok, I gave seven shots of primer on the start checklist so I added three more and gave it another go. Maybe three blades this time and she was off and running. That's much better, alternator on, avionics on, check gauges again and check the engine monitor to confirm the amp gauge that we are charging.  I flip the switch for com two and copy the ATIS while the Garmin 530 comes to life and scratch out the CRAFT mnemonic on my knee board for my clearance copy.
I contacted ground with the "all in one" format they now seem to require and advise Sundowner 6708Romeo Red Eagle, Foxtrot, IFR  Cape May.  Ground replies, cleared WWD, fly runway heading, radar vectors OOD, direct. Expect 2000, 3000 in ten, 118.35 (Philly), squawk 1140.  I read back the clearance and advise ready to taxi. Over to the tower and advise ready for release followed with a change, on departure fly heading 180.  I acknowledge and start my roll climbing out of Wilmington and feeling good to be back in the air.  As I climb through 400 feet I make a right turn to 180 and get handed off to philly.  Upon check in I am cleared to three thousand and told to expect Cedar Lake (the VCN vor). I add VCN into the flight plan on the 530 and 496 and monitor my climb and course. Philly gives me the direct cedar lake, I acknowledge and make the turn on the new course.  Altitude good, on course good, radios set for Atlantic City approach and since the AWOS is out at Cape May I tuned for the ATIS at KACY.   Philly contacts me again and gives me direct Cape May, I turn towards the south east and update the 530 and 496 once again.
I was handed off to Atlantic City and rode along with them until maybe 10 miles out of Cape May.  I advised the AWOS is out at WWD but I had information November at ACY and my destination in site. I had one traffic call out above me 500 feet crossing left to right heading south, I was looking. After I had a visual on the traffic I canceled IFR and switched to the unicom at Cape May.  I announced my intentions and swapped info with a Malibu that was departing runway ten.  I entered the pattern on a tight left base and following a short final set 08Romeo down slow and soft having to add power to make the first turn off at the Big Sky FBO.
A fun way of checking on my project and getting some flight time in the log book.  I wandered around the project and finally decided to pass on breakfast and instead fly over Millville and take some overhead shots of my other project. I climbed aboard and got 08Romeo started followed by a short taxi to runway one zero. I was soon climbing out and pointing north for Millville.  Following the coast along the Delaware Bay I made a pass at the mouth of the Maurice River taking a shot of Port Norris, always a busy place. I held my altitude at three thousand and avoided calling Millville radio, however, I was monitoring and kept myself clear of incoming or departing pattern traffic.  I took a few shots that show all the dirt work we have opened up. With a lap or two to finish up my photo shoot I decided to head for home and lunch.
Port Norris on the Maurice River
KMIV
I made my call for Wilmington about ten miles out, Wilminton tower, Sundowner 6708Romeo 10 SE, full stop, foxtrot.  No reply for a few seconds then 08Romeo enter right downwind runway nine, report midfield.  I acknowledged and made the appropriate course adjustment. As I crossed the Delaware River I noticed a large bird circling left to right about 500 plus below me and off the nose.  It was a Bald Eagle, maybe one of the New Jersey breeeding pairs out searching for food for the newly hatched eaglets. A very cool sight to see at least until it decided to give me a closer look and passed front to back down my right side as if getting itself into a better position to lock on.  Awesome feeling sharing the sky with a Bald Eagle, it's not my first encounter and I hope it's not my last, they are beautiful.

Back to the task at hand and that's setting up for my landing.  A second check of gas, mixture, pump and switches set as I enter the pattern, we are ready to land. I made a nice short field landing and taxied off for my tie down at Red Eagle.  One of our Op's vehicles swung around and parked across from my tie down and awaited my shut down.  It was good to chat with Donna and catch up on company business (gossip) and check on each others family. 
It was time to get busy pushing back and getting 08Romeo secured.  I had a few errands I wanted to take care of that I saved from this morning, including a lunch stop.  A fun day flying as always.....can't wait to get back in the air.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Nice shots and nice flying as always. I haven't shared the sky with a Bald Eagle yet but that would be awesome.

Rustedgranny said...

Dirt work photo - not much dirt there. Assuming seasonal standing water. Only difference between where you fly and I do, is yours is flatter. Looks equally gray and wet. Great photos. Would love to see one of 08Romeo.

Gary said...

There's some dirt.... :) It's like being a kid again when we have dirt work, I must have logged a thousand miles on my kness pushing trucks around in the dirt as a youngster.

A link to 08Romeo
http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2009/09/introducing-zero-eight-romeo.html