Saturday, December 23, 2023

Owner Maintenance

The holder of a pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR Part 61 may perform specified preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot, as long as the aircraft is not used under 14 CFR Part 121, 127, 129, or 135. 

Pilots need to understand that authorized preventive maintenance cannot involve complex assembly operations. As an owner/pilot one should carefully review 14 CFR Part 43, Appendix A, Subpart C (Preventive Maintenance), which provides a list of the authorized preventive maintenance work that an owner pilot may perform. As owner/pilots we should conduct a self-analysis as to whether you have the ability to perform the work satisfactorily and safely. 

Time to expand my owner maintenance activities. I fondly look back to work completed on my Sundowner when things were simple and straight forward. Since owning a complex aircraft there are more bits and pieces that need inspection and items that can cause headaches. 

Lets look at a simple battery replacement. my Sundowner required two screws to be removed in order to gain access behind the baggage compartment bulkhead. The battery box opened up with ease and even my broken body could squirm around to yank both batteries out. 

Commander Battery replacement requires two rear bulkhead panels to be removed which includes many screws and wiggling into positions this body can hardly perform. None the less the bulk head is opened up and now lets get to that box. Six screws, three a side, and having to reach behind the gear motor access panel. These fingers are no longer as nimble as they once were so extra care was taken not to fumble and kiss the screws goodbye as they disappear into the belly of the beast.

My Concorde RG35 AXC was last replaced eight years ago this month. I noticed the last two times starting it moved the prop with an I'm not happy grunt and then nothing, same result after another try. On the third attempt it came to life. 

Not my battery minder, just a sample of what was represented
I also noticed once the cold temps hit my battery minder was showing full charge and yet I saw a glow of barely a charge at the same time. Strange indeed. I decided it was time to update and ordered a new battery. Wow! The Concorde was listed at $499 with $24 for shipping and $30 in tax. $554 shipped to my door. I'm glad that they last so long. 

I have also had a gear down and locked indication issue. I can clearly hear the three gear clunk into position but I would feel much better with a consistent "three green". My last few flights I have used the tail camera Bluetooth to visually confirm what I heard.

My Investigation

I pushed the protective shield up the wires to expose where I saw a change in the shape of the insulation. Sure enough with a slight tug the one wire fell apart and the other two look ready for the same fate. I believe the protective plastic shield became brittle and the wires would bend or kink just enough to wear them out in the last three years, since I last had that switch replaced. This year I am going to have the shop wrap the wires with a flexible wrap.

Teflon spiral wrap

1ES1 Switch

JE-5 Lever and roller

The switch is a Honeywell 1ES1 that I will have replaced and if you look closely the Honeywell JE-5 articulating arm and roller are looking pretty rough so I am going to replace that combo too.

I ordered the parts and will make an appointment once my new battery is installed. Sussex Aero is just a ten minute hop or I'll head north to New Garden, about forty-five minutes. Either flight will be gear down situation, not wanting to mess with the broken wire. 

No comments: