Thursday, December 02, 2021

Garmin 480 - Destination with Approach

 

I took a short flight today to work through a Garmin 480 scenario that was posted as a comment/question on one of my YouTube videos. 

The question:

"Say I am flying VFR and have a direct to airport course in the unit, no FP, is there a way to setup and activate an approach or do I have to put a FP in first?"

I departed KOXB Ocean City and pointed towards KGED - Delaware Coastal.  No initial flight plan on the Garmin 480. I then selected direct to KGED and the magenta line appeared on the map page.  At this point I tried to select a procedure, no go, no "destination".  But I was direct KGED...no flight plan or destination, no approach. Try again. 

Ok, lets work through this. I selected Direct then on the sub menu I selected Destination (DEST), selected database (DB) entered KGED then ENTER.  Next I went back into Procedures (PROC) and there was KGED, ready for me to select an approach. 
I get to refresh my GPS skills working through other pilots questions and it gives me a reason to log some flight time.  Thanks for your question, Allan. 

No comments: