Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Currency Extended - June 2022

My Instrument currency had lapsed for the second time since I obtained my Instrument rating back in August 2010.  I'm not counting the lapse due to my accident in 2018 that was updated with an IPC and a new to us pane. It's been a month since I was current so today I headed over to Ocean Aviation to remedy that problem.

I met with the same instructor for my last sim session and we got right to the business at hand.  Zac had asked if I wanted to fly the steam gauges with the Garmin 530 or the G1000 set up. I'll try the G1000 set up, it's a bit more of a challenge.

I started out hand flying the first approach, the ILS into Salisbury, MD. - KSBY. The hand flying helped me find the correct buttonology and how to program the approaches along with the reminder of how sensitive the trim and controls are on the full motion sim. I did manage to get things set up and despite a bit of chasing I made a nice low approach and climb out on the missed for getting one in the books.

Next up was the RNAV GPS 14, 2 and 32 into Ocean City, KOXB.  The weather was set and I had to go missed on the GPS 14, it was still solid flying in the milk jug at seven hundred feet. Next up was the RNAV GPS 2 and I broke out in time to get the Cessna sim on the runway, and it would still fly again. The last approach at OXB was the RNAV GPS 32. This one brought back memories of breaking out just at minimums returning home from Wilmington with Mary and her friend. Zac had set the overcast at 280' and just like my actual I saw Assateague, then the bay, and landed the sim plane on the runway. Ugh, gives me a body shiver just remembering that actual flight. 

Next I knocked out the two RNAV GPS approaches into Delaware Coastal. RNAV GPS 4 and RNAV GPS 22 were text book. I was taking advantage of the G1000 and the autopilot for both approaches. I finished up with 1.6 hours flight time to knock out a hold, tracking, and the six approaches, not a bad day. My currency is now extended to June 30, 2022.

My First Sim Session back in May 2021

No comments: