Saturday, March 31, 2018

Beech Breakfast

Today's flight has me heading back to Cambridge, Maryland. The Beech Aero Club is meeting at Kay's restaurant, impromptu, yes, but why the heck not. I swapped text messages with Les G located at Martin State and we agreed on Cambridge. I was up and out of the house early because I needed to take on some fuel. The order was for ten to twelve gallons and 08Romeo took eleven to make for a total of forty on board. Cambridge is just thirty minutes each way, give or take a few minutes for winds.

08Romeo cruised along as I made my position calls, working my way towards the pattern for runway three-four. There was a Bonanza also headed for landing at CGE, he was ten out when I passed four miles out. Pointing 08Romeo's nose for final on three-four  I carefully made my way in, ending the first leg with a decent landing.
 Les was already on the ramp when I walked for the terminal building. We caught up inside and were seated on the east side of the restaurant closest to the ramp.
 
Charles G (my Safety pilot)walked in with a friend and we invited them to join us but they choose to sit at another table since we had already ordered. It's always good to see Charles and after breakfast he and his friend were going to continue on to Williamsburg.
 
UPDATE:
I have to add this conversation overheard from the next table. The pilot, traveling with another man, maybe a pilot but I don't think so, and his two children are listening to the pilot explain the SFRA. The pilot calls the outter ring "the ring of doom and the inner ring the ring of death". Really? Nice message to two young boys. I guess he thought he was some fighter pilot over a nation at war enforcing a no fly zone. Insert eye roll...
 
Les and I each enjoyed our omelets along with conversation about flying, the club, annual inspections, A&P's and a good chuckle at the rings of doom and death. 
 

An aircraft maintenance technician refers to an individual who holds an Airframe and/or Powerplant (A&P) certificate which is issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.

 
We eventually made our way back out the ramp and compared our Sundowners. Les has a 1978 and my plane is a 1980. The 79 has a twelve volt system, my 80 has a twenty-four volt system. Door hinges are different, his are piano hinge and I have two hinge pins. Our ELT access is located differently; the 79 is located in the right side access panel and the 80 is forward of that access panel. The last tiem we each noticed was the third row of ceiling vents (baggage area)in my 80 and Less has vents over each seating row only.
  
It was fun comparing the two planes and the changes Beech made from model year to year. Since we're both pretty close in location we plan to meet up again at one of the other airports with places to eat on the airfield. We each taxied out, I followed 08Lima and departed runway three-four for home.
Turning cross wind in the pattern, with a plan to depart on the left down wind I heard a call from a Cessna entering the down wind. Thankfully saw him come up on ADS-B and made visual as I was getting ready to turn down wind. The Cessna never confirmed he saw me and kept coming for the down wind. I continued, making a wider pattern as I turned downwind, advising I had the Cessna, now inside of my location. hint hint...I was rather ticked.
 
Head on a swivel at all times and always take the route that gives the most clearance no matter if your right or wrong.
 
91.113 Right-of-way rules: Except water operations. 
 
 
(a)Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an aircraft on water. 

 
(b)General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.  
 
(c)In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.  
 
(d)Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are of different categories -  
 
(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;  
 
(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.  
 
(3) An airship has the right-of-way over a powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft. 
 
However, an aircraft towing or refueling other aircraft has the right-of-way over all other engine-driven aircraft.

(e)Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter course to the right.  
(f)Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.  
 
(g)Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.  

The remainder of the flight was relaxing as I cruised along monitoring Patuxent approach.  I was called out a few times as traffic but altered my altitude to keep clear of the traffic approach was working.  Yes, I should have picked up flight following but I just wanted to enjoy some quiet time without having to chat with anyone. 
I approached Ocean City and made my 45°
entry for runway two.  I blended in with traffic and when turning to enter the left down wind I had two birds zip by me. One passed under the nose, caught him on camera, and the other banked right, the same way I did to miss the first feathered attacker. Bird one's wingman passed just off my right wing tip and although I didn't hit him he looked to pass by ruffled, and going backwards, very bizarre.

I got back to business and landed 08Romeo without incident. I inspected the wing and found no damage, confirming the miss.

2 comments:

Jim and Sandie said...

Birds and airplanes are not a good mix. Glad you were able to avoid each other. I'm surprised at the number of airports that serve food. We ate at the one in Sedona and the food was amazing.

Gary said...

The food has to be good to attract the locals. Not enough air traffic to keep them busy.