Wednesday, September 04, 2019
Seat Roller Repair, Day 1
This is the Commander seat track from the Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC). There are four roller units on each of the front seats, two front (circled) and two rear (red dot). This is a short shaft or axle for a better description with a bearing attached that rides in the seat track.
When the Commander was in the shop for the MP gauge repair the plan was to remove the front seat. This would provide more room to lay down and get under the panel. The seat needs TLC when removing, stop pins and posts removed the seat then needs to slide back to the release or cut out area about midway on each track. Once aligned you lift and rotate the seat towards the panel which frees the seat locks out of the tracks. At that point continue sliding the seat and rollers to the rear and remove seat.
That all sounds really easy, it takes some finesse to make it work and not damage the rollers. The shop left the seat in place and worked under the panel by doing some of those weird aerobics. Oh to be young again.
Once I was home I found a half bearing on the floor just under the seat, I had no clue what it was from. With some research and the help of the fellow Commander Owners Group (COG) members I had the answer.
After reading through multiple accounts of seat removal on the COG forum, I decided to give it a go and do the repair myself.
I arrived at the airport following my scheduled hair cut and opened up the hangar. It was hot and humid today and the breeze felt more like someone breathing on you then fresh air. Yuck!
I removed the stop pins and posts to open the track for the roller removal. Step one was easy. Next I had to configure myself to hold the back of the seat up while releasing the seat adjust lever and rolling the seat towards the rear. Ok, it was easy enough and the rear rollers are exposed in short order. Upon further examination both axles and bearings look great. I somehow manage to get my face down under the seat to inspect the tracks, they look clean, and in great shape.
I repositioned myself as best I could and tried to slide the seat backwards, holding it up as to not damage the assembly or hang the seat weight on the tracks. I just couldn't get enough lift while holding the seat to squarely lift the front locks out of the seat track slots. I tried multiple times, even taking about a ten minute break to keep focused and cool down.
By this time I was soaked, my shoulders were hurting and the knee and right leg were at their limit. I unplugged the drop light, cleaned up and headed home. I sent a text to a ramp neighbor, Chet, and he agreed to give me a hand tomorrow to lift and shift the seat up and back. Once removed I'll clean everything up, lube, and await the new rollers. Yes two, if I'm going through this much trouble I'm replacing both while I'm there.